Chapter 7: Captured

They traveled without rest until they reached Isengard. Orthanc loomed over head and the air was thick with smoke.

They brought them to the center just in front of the tower. They shoved them off the wargs they had been carrying them on.

Aragorn landed hard on his right leg. He winced, but didn't show any sign of pain. An orc pulled him to his feet and shoved him forward.

He walked behind Legolas who glanced back to see if he was alright. Aragorn took in his surroundings in dismay.

There were orcs everywhere. All the trees had been felled and around them were deep casms that belched black smoke.

As they were led forward the orcs quickly realized that there were prisoners and began shouting and jeering at them.

Aragorn ignored them and continued walking. One orc threw a knife which landed inches from Aragorn's feet.

Another orc threw something at Legolas which hit him in the shoulder. Aragorn couldn't see what hit him, but watched as Legolas continued walking as if nothing had happened.

Most of the orc's ranting was directed at Legolas, which wasn't a surprise to Aragorn, considering the history between elves and orcs.

Other orcs were trying to get to them with their swords and spears. The only thing keeping them away were the wargs that guarded them.

They finally reached the entrance to Orthanc where an uruk-kai was standing guard. He narrowed his eyes at the orc that led them.

"What is this?" he growled. "Saruman did not send for any more prisoners."

"We found them near the border. We brought them here for questioning."

The uruk snarled and looked down at the prisoners. He shouted something in the black speech and four more uruks appeared.

He ordered them to take the prisoners into the tower. The uruks walked over and shoved them roughly up the stairs and into the darkness of Orthanc.

------------------------------------------------------

They led them up some stairs that seemed to go on forever. They finally entered a room that only had a large black chair and a small table that held something that filled Aragorn with dread.

They were brought to the other side of the room and were forced to their knees. They sat in silence for what seemed like hours.

Aragorn was sitting between his friends and quickly glanced at each one. As he looked at Legolas he noticed the elf's hands moving slightly, like he was trying to hide something.

Legolas saw Aragorn looking at him and he moved his bound hand slightly, revealing to Aragorn what he held.

A knife. Legolas quickly hid it again and Aragorn turned away. It didn't surprise him that Legolas had a knife. He knew that he usually kept one hidden in one of his boots.

Although; how a single knife was going to aid them in a place like this was beyond Aragorn.

Even if Legolas could use it to kill the four uruks and manage to take their weapons, they would still have Saruman to deal with.

As well as a massive army of orcs. Footsteps sounded from outside the room.

Aragorn knew immediately that it was Saruman. The wizard entered the room followed by two uruk-hai.

He stood in front of them and smiled. "My uruk-hai say that you three were found spying near my borders." He spoke as if speaking to a child.
"Could one of you tell me what you purpose was?" Aragorn kept his head lowered and refused to meet the wizard's eye.