Chapter 13: Shadows From the Past

Legolas refused to take his eyes off of Orthanc. If Gandalf didn't come out soon he swore he would go in there himself.

He didn't care if he'd have to face Saruman, or an entire army of orcs. He just needed his friend back.

Movement caught his eye. The unmistakable form of Gandalf emerged from the tower. Aragorn was with him.

Legolas stood up and ran over to them. He quickly took in Aragorn's condition.

Oh mellon, what has he done to you?

Anger flooded through him and he glared at the black tower. His hands clenched into fists.

He'd make that wizard pay. For what he did to Aragorn, and the hobbits.

I'll kill him!

Be careful Legolas...

Legolas snapped out of his thoughts. He turned to Gandalf whose face was full of concern.

Do not let you anger control you.
Not again.

Legolas unclenched his fists and looked away from Gandalf.

"Help me get him away from here." Gandalf told him.

Legolas walked over and put Aragorn's other arm around his shoulder. Together they helped him over to the others.

Everyone stared in horror at Aragorn. He had beaten and was almost dead.

"Theodred, could you please spare a horse?"
Gandalf asked.

The Prince of Rohan nodded.
"Of course Gandalf." he motioned to a couple of his men who brought forward an extra horse.

Gandalf and Legolas helped Aragorn onto the horse. "Where are we going Gandalf?"
Legolas asked.

"To Edoras. King Theoden is expecting us."

Legolas nodded. "I'll ride with him." He mounted the horse and sat behind Aragorn. He hadn't moved.

Gandalf turned to Theodred. "Could you help with the hobbits?"

Theodred nodded. He called to another rider who shared a slight resemblance to him.

Theodred turned to Pippin and Frodo.

"This is my cousin Eomer. He will bear Pippin and I will take you Frodo. Gimli, you can ride with Sam on this horse. He is very gentle and he will not let you
fall."

"We'll see about that." Gimli grumbled. He didn't like the idea of riding a horse.

"What about Merry?" Pippin asked.

"He will ride with me." Gandalf told him. "Now we must make haste, Merry and Aragorn do not have much time."

------------------------------------------------------

Aragorn's sleep was troubled by nightmares. In every one he saw more and more of the people he loved die. There was darkness and terror. And he could do nothing to stop it.

"Aragorn." that voice... He knew it. "Lasto beth nin, tolo dan nan galad."

Aragorn's eyes flickered opened. Where was he?

"Aragorn?"

He turned and saw Legolas. To his relief he was no longer in his crazed state.

"Legolas? Where are we?" he tried to sit up and winced. Legolas gently placed a hand on his shoulder.

"We are in Edoras. In the halls of King Thedoden."

"The others, are they-"

"They are well. Frodo and Merry are recovering."

"What about you?"

The elf paused. He turned away from Aragorn. "I am well." was all he said.

Aragorn didn't believe it for a second.

Legolas turned back to Aragorn and smiled.

"You should rest mellon nin. You must recover your strength. I will come back after you have rested properly."

Aragorn wanted to argue but honestly, he was exausted. Once Legolas left the room, Aragorn closed his eyes and drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

------------------------------------------------------

Legolas closed the door to Aragorn's room. They had reached Edoras before nightfall. Aragorn, Merry, and Frodo were able to receive the proper attention that they needed.

"Did you tell him?" Legolas jumped at the sound of Gandalf's voice. It took a lot of effort to sneak up on an elf. But Gandalf managed it with ease.

"Tell him what?" he asked nervously.
"About myself. And that Sam and Pippin had been found."

Gandalf looked skeptically at the elf. "What else would I have wanted you to tell him?"

Legolas lowered his head. "Nothing. I was just confused for a moment."

"I know what happened Legolas. I know what Saruman did to you. What he showed you."

Legolas stiffened. "I never wanted to remember that Gandalf, that time, what I had become..."

He looked straight ahead, his eyes clouded. "What I still am."

"You are not what you think you are Legolas. Not anymore."
Gandalf told him sternly.
"You've turned away from that life. It is no longer a part of you."

"Yes it is Gandalf." Legolas turned to Gandalf, his face full of despair.
"It's always been a part of me. Even before Saruman reminded me of it. I'm a monster Gandalf! You know it is true!"

"It is not Legolas!" Gandalf grabbed the elf's shoulders and faced him.
"Listen to me. You've changed, you no longer walk the path you once did. It is behind you. Leave it."

He released him. Legolas looked at him. His expression didn't change.

"I cannot."

With that, he turned and left Gandalf alone in the hall.

------------------------------------------------------

Short chapter. Don't worry! More is coming! Plz comment!

Elvish: Here my voice. Come back to the light.