Chapter 18: The Road to Gondor

When they arrived they found Theoden with Gandalf and Eomer. Aragorn and Legolas joined them.

"I've spoken to Theoden and he agrees that we should head for Gondor at once." Gandalf imformed them.

"Why did the orcs attack Gandalf?" Eomer asked.

"I do not know. But it is important that we start our journey as soon as possible."

Eomer nodded and then turned to Theoden. "My king, I ask that by your leave I would like to accompany Gandalf and his companions to Gondor. If this has to do with the orc's attack I should like to know more about it."

Theoden looked startled. "Absolutely not. I will not allow my kin to go on such a errand. Especially with orc armies about. Sending you with them would be like sending my own son."

"And why shouldn't I go?"

They turned around to see Theodred walking up to them with Gimli.

"Eomer is right. If this has something to do with Rohan's safety we should look into it."

"It is out of the question." Theoden told them both sternly.
"Besides, I doubt Gandalf would want you to come."

"Actually, Theoden, I believe that having Eomer and Theoden accompany us would prove most helpful."

Theoden turned to Gandalf in disbelief.

"We do not have enough riders to help carry the hobbits. As well as Gimli."

Gimli glared at Gandalf but the wizard didn't notice.

"You would ask me to send my son and nephew on a perilous journey to Gondor?" Theoden asked in anger.

"It would not be perilous my King. We may encounter a small pack of orcs or two. But both Theodred and Eomer know how to handle themselves and I can assure you that Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are three of the most skilled fighters you will ever meet."

Aragorn waited for Theoden's response. He understood that Theoden wouldn't want to endanger his kin.

Of course, Aragorn wouldn't mind having Eomer and Theodred with them. They were skilled horsemen and fighters.

Finally, Theoden sighed. "If this is what the two of you wish, than I will not stop you."

Theodred's face lit up immediately. "Do not worry father, we shall return soon. Come Eomer! Let us prepare for the journey!"

Theodred sped off while Eomer followed more slowly.

Gimli glanced at Aragorn with a look that said, Are we sure about this?

------------------------------------------------------

The hobbits were glad to hear that Theodred and Eomer would be going with them to Gondor.

The same could not be said for Eowyn.

"I do not see why I cannot go if my brother is." She told Theodred.

"I've already made up my mind. Eomer and Theodred will go with Gandalf and you will remain here. Your people need you Eowyn."

Eowyn opened her mouth to protest but Theoden silenced her with a look.

Meanwhile, the others were preparing for the journey. They'd packed food, water, and weapons.

They also decided whom each of the hobbits would be riding with.

Frodo would ride with Gandalf, Sam with Aragorn, Merry with Eomer, and Pippin with Theodred. Gimli and Legolas already agreed that they would ride together.