Chapter 15: A Dark Past

The Fellowship was summoned to King Theoden's throne room.

There the king sat on his throne. Beside him stood Theodred and Eomer. A lady, whom none of them had seen before, stood on the other side of the king.

"Gandalf, I am glad to see that your friends have recovered."
Theoden told him.

"I thank you Theoden, for providing the help they needed."
Gandalf replied. "I'm afraid that we will have to be on our way soon. We have urgent business in Gondor."

"Of course. I will not keep you here against your will. When do you wish to leave?"

"We shall leave at dawn. If it is not a problem Theoden, we could use supplies as well as horses for our journey.

The king nodded. "All that you need will be provided. Theodred will see to it that you will have everything you need."

Theodred smiled at the Fellowship. Eomer stood motionless beside him. The lady that stood on the other side of the king looked at them curiously.

"You are dismissed." Theoden told them. The Fellowship bowed and turned to leave. As they did Gandalf told Aragorn, "I have some things that I believe you will all enjoy."

The rest of them overheard and followed Gandalf curiously as he led them into a room they had been in earlier.

Inside, lying on a wooden table were their weapons. The hobbits rushed over and grabbed their swords. Frodo smiled as he held Sting. He thought he'd lost his uncle's sword!

Gimli held his axe while Legolas gently ran his fingers over his bowstring. Aragorn looked for his sword and saw a new one.

One that he hadn't expected to see.

"How did you find these?" Pippin asked studying his small sword.

Gandalf smiled. "I found them when I was searching for you."

"Even this?" Aragorn asked in a sharp tone. The others looked curiously at him. Legolas' eyes widened.
"The shards of Narsil, they have been reforged."

Aragorn looked at Gandalf in disbelief. "It is time Aragorn. You must accept your path."

"I can't... Gandalf-"

"You will because you must." Gandalf told him sternly. "The people of Gondor need their king. It is time."

Aragorn looked at the sword. He looked at the others who stared at him. They were waiting for him to answer.

Aragorn placed the sword back on the table. "I can't."

Without another word he left the room.

------------------------------------------------------

Aragorn found himself standing alone in front of the Meduseld. He stood outside and let the wind blow on him.

It was dark and the stars were out. He was surprised when he turned and saw Legolas standing a few feet away from him.

He wore a hood over his head and there was no movement from him, except for the wind blowing his cloak.

Aragorn sighed and walked over to him. He needed to talk to someone.

Legolas said nothing as Aragorn approached. He was busy with thoughts of his own.

They stood side by side in silence. Until finally Aragorn spoke. "Did you know I was out here?"

"No. I just needed some fresh air. I have been inside for far too long."
Legolas replied.

Aragorn smiled slightly.