Chapter 9: Prisoners

The orcs led them to a cell deep inside Orthanc. They threw them inside and slammed the door shut. The orcs had removed the ropes from their hands so Aragorn was free to inspect the hobbits.

Both were barely breathing. If they didn't receive proper attention soon, they would die. Aragorn looked around the cell for anything he could use to help the hobbits but there was nothing.

He doubted that Saruman would provide him with anything to treat them with either.

He did his best to make the hobbits comfortable and ease their pain. They groaned softly as they were moved.

Once they were settled Aragorn reclined against the wall next to Gimli. Neither spoke to each other and each sat alone with his own thoughts.

Aragorn hadn't been able to think about it earlier but now he had the time to. The Ring, it had given Boromir power. But how?

The Ring didn't give power to anyone save Sauron. It only corrupted. Another thing was when Frodo or anyone else wore the ring, they disappeared.

Boromir hadn't. Why? He didn't know. The thing that stuck out most to Aragorn was the fact that Boromir could've killed them himself when he had trapped them.

But instead he sent them to Isengard. Aragorn thought back to Amon Hem. Boromir could have killed Frodo then too, but he let him go to take his chances with the orcs.

Same thing with Legolas. The elf had been completely at his mercy. But again, Boromir had left him for the orcs to kill.

Aragorn pondered the possible reasons why Boromir would rather have orcs kill them when he clearly had the power to do it on his own.

His thoughts were interrupted when he remembered what had just happened. Legolas had tried to kill Saruman, he had failed and now the wizard was doing who knows what to him.

Aragorn glanced at Gimli and he could tell that he and the dwarf were thinking the same thing.

What was that stupid elf thinking?

They sat in silence for well over an hour. Aragorn, every once in a while, checked on the hobbits. They showed no sign of getting better or worse.

It pained Aragorn that there was nothing he could do for them. Or anyone for that matter.

All that had happened since Gandalf had entrusted him with leading the fellowship ended in disaster.

The Ring had been stolen, Sam and Pippin were missing, the rest of them were prisoners in Isengard, it couldn't get much worse than that.

The sound of orcs approaching jolted Aragorn from his thoughts. He and Gimli stood and watched as two orcs approached, and they had Legolas.

As the cell door opened Aragorn immediately scanned his friend for injuries, but to his shock and surprise there seemed to be nothing wrong with the elf.

That was until they threw him into the cell. The elf's eyes were wide in blind terror. He saw the orcs behind him and quickly crawled away.

The orcs laughed as he crawled to the far side of the cell and huddled there. He hugged his knees to his chest and seemed to be trying to make himself as small as possible.

He kept mumbling something to himself that Aragorn couldn't make out. The orcs thankfully left the cell and slammed the door closed.

Gimli stood in front of the elf who hadn't moved from his position. He didn't even acknowledge them.

He just sat there, eyes wide and mumbling.

"What's he saying Aragorn?" Gimli asked. The elf's behavior was unsettling.

"I don't know."
Aragorn looked at Legolas and waved a hand in front of his face.
No response.

He placed a hand on his shoulder and he jumped. He quickly backed away from Aragorn and Gimli and resumed his position in another part of the cell.

Aragorn looked at Gimli and the dwarf stared back. "What did that beast do to him?" the dwarf growled.

Aragorn looked back at Legolas, he had never seen a look of pure terror like that on anyone before.
He listened closely to his muttering and could only decipher a single word, "no."

A few hours passed before more orcs returned to the cell. Legolas stared wild-eyed as they entered.

Aragorn prayed that whatever the orcs were there for it wouldn't involve Legolas.

Fortunately the orcs ignored Legolas. Who continued to sit huddled up in his corner, not taking his eyes off the orcs.

Unfortunately, the orcs were there because their master had sent them to retrieve someone for him.

And that person was Aragorn. The orcs grabbed him by the arms and hauled him to his feet. He knew it would be useless to struggle so he didn't fight.

Gimli stood up and was about to say something when Aragorn silenced him with a glare.

But at that moment Legolas noticed what was happening and leapt to his feet. He raced towards the orcs and to the surprise of everyone there, he threw himself onto one of them and tried to fight them off.

The orcs had been taken by surprise but they were both much stronger than the elf. They threw him off easily and he landed hard on the floor.

He immediately got back to his feet but the orcs had already left. Taking Aragorn with them.

------------------------------------------------------

They led took him back to the room where they had been brought before. Saruman was standing there. His face was expressionless as he watched him. He looked at the orcs, "Leave us."

The orcs left leaving Aragorn alone with Saruman.

The wizard was about to speak when Aragorn interrupted, "What have you done to him?"

Saruman grinned slightly. "You mean your elf friend?" He turned away from Aragorn and began walking. Not knowing why, Aragorn followed.

"I have merely opened his mind." Saruman turned and faced Aragorn. The small grin was gone.

"I have revealed things to him that he should've been told about long ago." he turned away again and continued walking.
"As well as memories he has tried hard to forget. Certain things that he's kept hidden."

Aragorn paused. What could Legolas be hiding?
Don't trust him.

Aragorn didn't know if that thought was directed at Saruman or Legolas.

"Why did you bring me here?" He asked to change the subject.

"I know who you are Aragorn son of Arathorn. I know you are Isildur's heir."

Saruman turned to Aragorn and gripped his staff tightly. "You do realize that the one thing Sauron fears the most is the King of Gondor returning to the throne? I would be doing him a great service if I was to eliminate that threat."

"Then do it. There is nothing stopping you."

"Actually, I'm afraid there is. You know where the Ring is."

Aragorn glanced at him but said nothing.

"If you tell me where it is, I will release your friends and you will all live."
Saruman waited for his reply.

"How do I know you would let us live? You betrayed the people of this earth. Why should I belive you?"

"Because you have no choice."
Saruman answered. "If you do not help me your friends will
die."

"If Sauron reclaims the Ring it will not matter."
Aragorn stared in defiance at the wizard.
"I will not help you."

"Very well then."
Saruman narrowed his eyes.
"Then you will watch your friends die."

The two orcs returned and grabbed Aragorn.

"Remeber Aragorn, you are always free to change your
mind."

-----------------------------------------------------

Please comment if you are enjoying this story! Or if you're not let me know and I'll see what I can do about it!