The Right Thing

Aragorn left the dungeon in silence. He almost didn't notice Boromir standing nearby. "What were you doing?"

Aragorn sighed. He didn't want to talk to anyone. Especially Boromir.

"I'm surprised he never told
you." Boromir continued. "I never thought he would be one to keep secrets."

"I guess you don't know him very well." Aragorn said slowly.

"And you do?" Boromir asked wryly.

"I didn't always tell him everything. It was a long time before I told him my true name."

"But you told him eventually, and he seemed determined to never let you find out what he'd done."

"What he did doesn't matter." Aragorn snapped. "Then why do you fear him?" Boromir waited for a response with his arms crossed.

"Because I now I know what he can do. He killed his own people. He almost killed his father. He could do the same to me and every person in this city."

Boromir shrugged. "I doubt one elf would be able to slaughter an entire city."

"Like I said earlier, you do not know him very well." Aragorn turned to leave. He was done with this conversation.

"You're doing the right thing Aragorn." Boromir called out.

Aragorn paused. "What do you mean?"

"With Legolas. Letting him go. It's what is best for you, and
him. Also with the ring."

Aragorn whipped back around. "What does the ring have to do with anything?"

"Everything. You said so yourself. The ring is our only hope now."

How much did he hear?

"What if doesn't work Boromir? What if it leads to nothing but the fall of your people?"

"It will work. You'll see." Boromir turned and walked away. Leaving Aragorn alone with hid thoughts.

------------------------------------------------------

Frodo was sitting alone in the courtyard near the white tree. His mind was racing with thoughts and questions that would probably go unanswered.

"Are you alright Frodo?" Frodo turned and gave a small smile as Sam walked over. "I'm fine."

"You don't sound fine." Sam sat down next to him. "What's wrong?"

Frodo sighed. "Do you think we failed Sam? We were supposed to destroy the ring but instead it seems like we are about to deliver it straight to the ememies hands."

"I know what you mean." Sam clasped his hands together and looked at the tree.

"I thought that when we left Lorien the worst was behind us. It looks like I was wrong."

Thinking of Lorien brought back memories of what Frodo had seen in Galadriel's mirror.

"I saw something terrible Sam. In Lorien." Sam looked at him curiously. "What did you see?"

"I saw what would happen if the quest failed. I saw the Shire destroyed. All of our friends enslaved. All because of us."

Sam said nothing. He didn't know what to say. "Do you think Gandalf will do anything?"

"If he could, I'm sure that he would have already. I'm afraid that it's beyond his power now."

The two hobbits sat in silence. It was awhile before Sam spoke again. "Did you hear what Aragorn said to Legolas?"

"No. I didn't." Frodo replied.

"He told him that he was dangerous, and that he never wanted to see him again. He also said that he was a danger to everyone in this city."

Frodo was surprised. "I thought they were friends."

"I know. But I don't think it's fair. Being angry with him for something that happened years ago."

"I don't think he's angry Sam. I think he's afraid of him."

"Why would he be? Legolas wouldn't hurt him. Oh wait..."

Sam hung his head and sighed. "None of this makes sense Frodo. I don't know what we're supposed to do."

"Me neither. It looks like it will all come down to where Boromir can use the ring against Sauron or not."

"And if he can't?" Sam asked.

"Then everyone in Middle Earth will be doomed."

------------------------------------------------------

"He's mad I tell you. Absolutely mad!"

Merry and Pippin sat in silence as they listened to Theodred give his reasons for not joining Boromir.

"He'll doom us all! We should just take the ring and destroy it oursleves."

"I'm afraid it's not that simple Theodred." Gandalf told him sadly. "If it was we would have done so already."

"Than are we to do nothing?" Eomer asked in disbelief.

"Not entirely." the wizard replied calmly.

"What do you mean Gandalf?" Merry asked.

"While you will all remain here, I shall go with Boromir to
Mordor."

"What?" Pippin exclamed in shock. "What good would it do for you to go too?"

"I wish it would do good. But if all fails with the ring, than someone will have to make sure that it is not regained by
Sauron."

"But can you stop Sauron?" Merry asked.

Gandalf hesitated before answering. "No. Not if he has the ring."

They sat in silence. No one spoke or looked at each other. Later Aragorn, Gimli, Eowyn, Frodo, and Sam joined them.

They heard what Gandalf had to say and they also fell silent.

"We can't let Boromir leave with the ring." Frodo said.

"Are you sure there's no way to take it from him? Or convince him to destroy it?" Eowyn asked.

"The ring has poisoned his mind beyond our help. It has given him power long enough for him to believe that he can defeat Sauron." Gandalf told them grimly.

"What about the people? Everyone in Middle Earth will become enslaved and slaughtered by Sauron if we do nothing." Gimli stated.

"If all else fails, you must protect as many people as you can." Gandalf turned to Aragorn who stood silent and motionless in the back of the room.

"You must lead them Aragorn. There is a way out of the city that leads deep into the mountains. If Minas Tirith is attacked you must take the people there."

"And do what? Hide in the mountains until Sauron finds us? Or until we starve to death? Either way we will die."

Everyone was taken back by Aragorn's harsh words. This wasn't the same man whom the hobbits had met in Bree. He'd changed.

"You can run from it no longer Aragorn. You must accept your responsibility. Whether as a king or as someone the people can follow." Gandalf stood and walked over to Aragorn, he pulled out a sword and gave it to Aragorn.

"It is time." without another word the wizard left the room.

------------------------------------------------------

About three or four more chapters to go! Plz leave a comment!