October 10th, 2015: I Dare You

Warning: There are are a few instances of cursing here, and if you're one of those people that get uncomfortable with it, I'm sorry. These are teenagers, and quite a lot of them curse, way worse than this. I hope you enjoy the chapter anyway. :)

        I woke up this morning and stumbled into the bathroom. The sun wasn't out yet and I fumbled around in the dark before finding the light switch. The light burst into the room, blinding me for a second. I yelped and blinked my eyes rapidly. Then, just as quickly as it had turned on, it blew out and I was back in the dark again.

        I groaned, my voice bouncing off the walls, making a slight echo. The lightbulb needed to be changed. Deciding to do it later, I washed my face in the dark and made my way back to my room.

       The little nightlight was still on and I turned to my mirror, frowning. The stress must really be getting to me. I saw ugly red bumps scattered across my cheeks, highlighted by the small nightlight, a stark contrast against the skin on the rest of my face. Acne flare-up. I sighed. I'm too old for this. I almost turned right back around and went straight to bed then and there. I hated acne and the thought of going out in public right now stunk big time.

But I needed the run. I'd just have to keep my hair down today.

      I broke out into a run as soon as I saw the park entrance, my feet pounding against the pavement as my heart beat inside my chest. I passed only a couple of morning joggers along the way but didn't make eye contact. Keeping my head down, I made a few laps around the park before going off towards the tree. My tree.

      I slowed to a stop, breathing hard, and put my hands on my waist. My nose and throat stung, and I pushed my hair out of the way to let the air touch my neck. I'd forgotten to bring water again and cursed myself for forgetting. There was no water fountain around here. I'd either have to deal without it or go back now.

I stared at the tree.

I'd stay. Just for a while.

      I walked over and fell down in my regular place at the base of the tree. Just for a while. I looked up at the bird's nest. The eggs hadn't hatched yet, which was weird. It was almost autumn.

I place my headphones in my ears and drifted off to sleep.

      I only woke up because the sun was glaring into my face. I opened my eyes and hissed. The sun left spots in the backs of my eyes as I blinked furiously, trying to make them adjust quickly to the light. I shaded my eyes and got up, feeling a jerk in my ears as my headphones were wrenched out of my ears and my phone fell to the ground.

I gritted my teeth as it landed on my foot. Curse the universe, dang it!

      I turned away from the angry sun and stretched. I'd stayed out too late. It was probably still morning. Probably. It wasn't too hot yet and the air still felt fresh and somewhat cool. I rubbed my eyes and walked forward a bit, knowing I needed to go home, but not wanting to leave quite yet.

      I saw movement in the edge of my eyes and turned back towards the tree. I screamed and jumped backwards, tripping over a tree root jutting out of the ground, and fell flat on my butt.

"Heek!"

      I stared at him from my spot in the dirt, legs splayed in different directions as I pushed myself up into a sitting position with my hands. The dirt clumps stuck to the heels of my hands and the grass poked my legs through my jeans.

"You..you...how...when..what are you?"

He raised an eyebrow and I frowned at my own question and tried again.