October 19th, 2015: Awake

I woke up early today to get my run through the park out of the way before people started waking up and I'd actually have to be seen out in public. No one was in the park on my way to my tree and I sat down and listened to music as usual. It's becoming a routine for me but it's getting cooler outside and I know I won't be able to stay by the tree during the winter time.

      I sat there anyway, waiting out the time. I could worry about it when the time comes.

When I'd found some semblance of inner peace, I pushed myself off the ground and got to my feet, dusting off my hands to free them from any dirt clumps stuck to my palms.

I looked at the tree, feeling a distant dread. Eventually, I will have to stop coming. It'll get cold...

      Already, I could see the leaves starting to fall off, turning orange and red, the clumps of grass beneath my feet was yellowing. I sighed and turned around, plugging in my headphones again to make the trip home. I stretched and started off at a slow walking pace, trying to concentrate on the music in my head instead of my thoughts. My feet were making a steady pace, pat, pat, pat, against the dirt. I started to speed up, trying to ease myself into a jog.

      I passed low shrubs that eventually turned into clumps of trees as I made my way around the park. I can do this. Then I passed another tree and something roughly wrapped itself around my waist and jerked me off the sidewalk. I shrieked as it tightened around my stomach and a hand slammed over my mouth, effectively cutting off any scream I had coming. No! My hands flew up and I tore at the hand over my mouth, struggling, trying to find a way to break out. This wasn't how I wanted to die!

"Stop struggling dammit. It hurts."

The arm loosened around my waist and I jerked around to see a pair of smokey grey eyes staring into my own. I pushed Luke away and he stumbled into the tree behind him.

"What's wrong with you?" I glared at him. "Why couldn't you just approach me like any other person? I just about had a heart attack!" I kicked the ground in frustration, chest heaving. "Why didn't you just say hi?"

He chuckled and folded his arms, leaning against the tree. "Where's the fun in that?"

"There's no fun in trying to kill people."

He shrugged. "Yeah. People dyin' s'no fun. But torture, " He grinned. "That's another thing."

I put a hand over my chest and breathed, trying to slow my pounding heart. "You're crazy."

"So I've heard."

I folded my arms. "What do you want?"

He smiled. "Nothing much. Damian and I were just over here when I saw you making your way down. I called but you didn't hear me, " His smile turned back into a full-blown grin. "There's no way I was letting go of a chance to scare ya."

I huffed and raised my arms to pull my hair-tie off to redo my ponytail, turning as my eyes followed the direction Luke had jerked his head in. Damian stood beside the tree, one hand in his pocket and a smile playing on his lips as he watched me.

I frowned, feeling stupid all of a sudden. "So why did you try to kidnap me?" I asked Luke.

He laughed. "I didn't. I told you. I was just going to scare--" His eyes lit up.

"Wait."

"What?" I asked, already wary of this crazy attacker.

"Wait, wait."

"What?"

His eyes danced. "It's Saturday."

I shook my head. "And? Congratulations Captain Obvious. Tomorrow's Sunday. Yesterday was Friday, Friday....can't believe it was Friday." I sang my own parody of Rebecca Black's hideous song.