Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Juliette and I rush into the store. I manage to calm myself down from the sight in the parking lot. I really thought we would be safe here in a new town but I guess you can't outrun your past. At least I only saw them and they didn't see us. Well, we'll just hang out in the store longer than necessary of we have to. Juliette didn't even seem to notice my mini panic attention and is looking wide eyed around the store at all the different foods.

I put Juliette into the front of the cart and start shopping. I pick up the food that Juliette wanted for dinner. I also got some snacks and enough food for the rest of the week.

I lift Juliette out of the cart so she can pick what kind of candy she wants. Apparently, she was more concerned with the stuffed animal at the end of the aisle than the candy because she took off for them.

"Juliette! Stop!" I yell rushing after her. I turn the corner and almost run into Juliette and a girl worker that seems to be my age discussing the different types of animals there.

"Juliette you can't run off like that without me!" I scold her.

"I'm sorry Lydia." she apologizes.

I turn to the girl and say "I'm really sorry. She usually doesn't really run off like that." The girl smiles at me.

"It's fine! I have a niece who is four and I remember when she was younger she would always run straight for the toys and stuffed animals. She still does today!"

The girl laughs. I laugh along with her. "I'm Tiffany. Nice to meet you!" she says as she introduces herself.

I smile and say "I'm Lydia, nice to meet you too!"

"Are you new around here or just visiting?" she asks.

"We just moved here yesterday. That obvious huh?"

"Well, this is a small town and when you live here for your whole life like me you know practically everyone! What grade are you in?"

"I'll be starting my junior year in three days." I say.

"No way! Same here! That means we'll be at the same school!" Tiffany exclaims.

Thank god at least I'll know one person in the school, I think to myself. Tiffany's manager calls out to her and tells her to get back to work. We exchange phone numbers and Tiffany offers to help us unpack. She seems really sweet.

Since Juliette apologized I let her pick out a stuffed animal. She chose a cute, little, pink puppy. We head over to the checkout. At the check out, I peer outside. It seems like the coast is clear. I pay the cashier and head outside. I put Juliette in her car seat and load the bags into the trunk. On the way home, I have an eerie feeling that we are being watched and I don't like it one bit.