Chapter 4

Chapter Four

The next two days pass very quickly. My mom hasn't been getting out of bed at all. I bring her food and make sure she's okay. I love her and I understand she needs to recover from what happened just three months ago but I'm getting of tired of having to do everything by myself.

Tiffany came over and helped me unpack our boxes. When she asked were my parents were I told her that my mom and dad are getting divorced and my mom was out which was partly true. No need to scare away my only friend within two days of meeting her. The apartment is finally settled and almost looks like home.

After Tiffany left and I put Juliette down for a nap, I called Mia. It went to voicemail. That's weird, I thought, it has gone to voicemail for the past three days. She's probably just busy getting ready for the new soccer season. Unlike me, Mia actually has athletic abilities. She is a three season athlete. She plays soccer in the fall, she swims for the varsity team in the winter, and runs track in the spring. Mia and I are actually polar opposites. Mia is sporty, I'm not. I love school and do well in it, Mia doesn't. Mia loves to party, I'd rather be home curled up with a good book. I text her and tell her to call me whenever she gets a chance.

I putter around the house for the rest of the day getting my stuff ready for school tomorrow and making dinner. My mom is still in her room, this is getting really old really fast. We all are dealing with the same thing. She's the adult she should be able to handle this but instead every responsibility is pushed onto me. I go into her room and set the food next to her bed. She still hasn't eaten her lunch but I leave it there in case she gets hungry later. I wake Juliette from her nap and feed her dinner.

After dinner, we go down to the pool which is within our apartment complex. We swim the evening away and soon it's getting dark. We go back up to our apartment. After a half-hour of Sesame Street, I put Juliette to bed.

I flip through the channels but I can't find anything I like so I grab a book and start to read. Reading is my favorite pass time. When I read, I feel like I'm transported into the realm of the book. My favorites are romance novels. I think they are my favorite because I've never had a boyfriend. I really want one but all the boys at my old school were either jerks, were one of the people who bullied me, or I was try shy to work up the courage to go and talk to them. I finish reading and then wander around the house to make sure all the doors and windows are looked and everything is turned off. I get ready for bed and attempt to fall asleep. It's pretty hard considering I have a knot the size of Texas in my stomach just thinking about having to start all over again in a new school.