Fear

A/N: I'm alive, I did my exam, I'm still working on the one shots for the 500 followers celebration. It's 4am, I said I was going to have chapters not longer than 2.5k words but this is 1000 words longer than that, and I'm pretty sure that there are still a lot of mistakes to edit out.

I'm also sure some of you are going to hate me, but I wouldn't be Satan if that wasn't the case :)

****

Scott was extremely surprised of how things seemed to be normal after that night. He didn't really know what he was expecting, and he was somehow grateful for the normalcy, but part of him wondered how that was possible - and if it really was the best option.

He had caught Mitch's lingering gaze every once in awhile, his brown eyes scrutinizing as if he was trying to read a mysterious book, but the boy never said a thing, only sending a smile his way whenever Scott raised his brows in a questioning way. He didn't know what his best friend was trying to understand, but his mind was too crowded with different thoughts to really worry about it for more than a couple of seconds.

After that first heavy conversation, none of them had addressed the subject anymore - ignored the giant pink elephant in the room, pretending to not feel the weight on their shoulders that would sometimes steal their breath if they gave it enough power. No words had been spoken about their current relationship either, which only added to the frustration that was building.

In his heart Scott knew that they both shared the same reasoning, and they were just trying to wait until they had the answer to the most impelling issue, but that didn't make it any more easy. They were still as affectionate as ever, going on with their lives with the togetherness they had become accustomed to, but there was a distinct feeling between them, a pull that Scott didn't know how long he'll be able to ignore.

There had been tension between them before - their friends would often joke about how it had grown so much that it was basically thick enough to touch - but they had lived for so long with it that it was easy to pretend it wasn't there. At first. However, the moment he stopped forcing himself to ignore it, that same tension had hit him with the force of a tornado - throwing him out of the comfort track he had always walked on, tossing him into a dark hole that seemed to have no end.

The fall had seemed so long and hopeless, waves of fear and regret striking him and almost making him lose consciousness along the way; he had almost given up hope. Thankfully Mitch had been right there with him, jumping right back as soon as he had understood what Scott was going through, taking his hand in a silent promise to not leave him alone.

And soon the lack of solid ground didn't feel like falling anymore, but more like flying. As the most careful of birds, they had flown against a wind made of insecurities and fears, leaving behind the path of stability they had always known. Precarious at first, their wings had gained strength as they kept travelling through an unknown sky that they had never allowed themselves to even envision.

No matter how scary it had been at first, Scott didn't want their journey to stop. Not when it had taken him too many failed relationships and too many nights filled with the nagging fear of never being able to have a love that would last. Not when it had taken him so long to stop being blind and realize what he really wanted, what he had always wanted. Not when he had had to fight the fear of being completely wrong. Not when he had felt the waves of relief rush through him as Mitch showed himself ready for whatever was going to happen.

Scott was so insanely scared of losing everything - not now, not when happiness seemed to be close enough for them to close their hands around it. He couldn't allow it. It took him less than two days before he couldn't hold everything inside anymore, and he decided to stop tiptoeing around.