Bittersweet moments

Thiruvenkata Arangam in Mylapore was buzzing with hordes of people. Unity Insurance Company Ltd was celebrating its Annual Day. The bunch of people included the managers and assistant managers of various branches, officers, assistants, clerks, and new trainees. The auditorium consisted of seats for around 100 people and a large podium where the events were to take place. The stage was decorated with balloons and festoons. Chairs for the chief guests had taken the center place while the mike platform was arranged for the emcee to host the event. In a corner of the auditorium, tea and snacks were provided as refreshments.

The emcee began with his cheerful voice, "A warm welcome to all of you. Unity India Insurance is celebrating its......"

Aishwarya nudged at Adhitya. "I am nervous," she said.

"Don't be nervous, Aishu. You'll perform well. I have the confidence in you." He placed his hand on hers. Aishwarya felt comfortable by his gesture.

"Usually, I don't have stage fear. But today I am really afraid. I have to perform before hundreds of people. Half of them are senior officers. And a few might have learned Carnatic music well. They would point out mistakes too." Her voice quivered.

"Aishu, this isn't a competition to point out your mistakes. It's just a celebratory event. No one will care even if you add your own lyrics. They're here to enjoy your performance. Not to find faults with it. Look at the dancers over there. How cool they are! Enjoy what you do and don't worry about all these."

Aishwarya's fears were calmed by his soothing words. She relaxed a bit.

"Shall I get you some tea?" he asked.

"Yes, that would be good."

He stood up and made his way towards the tea stall.

'How caring he is!' She thought, with a smile dancing on her lips.

The tea was strong as well as sugary. It pepped up her confidence and she began rehearsing the lines inside her mind.

After a few speeches by the chief guests, the emcee announced, "So, ladies and gentlemen, now we're arriving to the most enjoyable part of the event. Yes! It is the cultural events!"

A mild cheer erupted from the crowd.

"And I call upon Ms. Aishwarya Shankaran, a new trainee from the Besant Nagar branch to sing a song for us."

Up went Aishwarya, taking baby steps to reach the podium. She smiled at the audience and received the mike from the emcee. She glanced at Adhitya who showed thumbs up to her.

Soon the musicians began to play the prelude. Then the sweet voice of Aishwarya emanated slowly. She was singing Anandha Raagam, a haunting Ilaiyaraaja melody from the movie Panneer Pushpangal. The audience went into pin-drop silence mode as she sang to her heart's content.

As soon as she finished, the crowd cheered in the highest decibel and the applause went on for a minute.

The emcee spoke, "That was an extremely soul-stirring performance, Aishwarya. We would look forward to more such performances from you in the upcoming years. Thank you!"

Once again, she smiled at the audience, thanked them and went down to her place. She seated herself and asked, "How was it, Adhi?"

He did not reply. She could see that his eyes were moist.

"What happened, da?" She shook him slightly.

He turned and looked at her. His eyes spoke something which she couldn't decipher. There were a million words in it, but she couldn't understand them.