The gift

Looking back, these three months have been the happiest days of my life. Adhitya has been the radiance in my otherwise dull life. And he continues to do so. But what is my relationship with him? Yes, he keeps me happy always. He makes me laugh when I am sad. He shares my joys and sorrows. He supports me in my singing, appreciates and criticizes my poems. He helps me whenever needed. He fights, too, but makes up for it soon and forgets the incident. He is what I term as 'perfect boy'. Yes, he too has his imperfections. He has unknowingly hurt me quite a number of times and he has been stubborn too. But I like him above all his faults. My heart can easily accept him as he is adjustable too. However, what do I term him as? What is he? He isn't a mere friend. It's too low a position to give him. He isn't a best friend too. He has crossed the boundaries of being a close friend. And he isn't my lover too. I cannot give him that position which has already been bagged by Manohar. Then, what is he? Where is our relationship leading us to? I know that we are just convincing ourselves to be best friends. But our hearts know that we are beyond that. We hang somewhere between friendship and love. Our relationship is unnamable.

Aishwarya closed the sap green diary on which had she had been penning those lines. It was another diary in which she used to write down her thoughts. She had been regularly updating about her relationship with Adhitya and the experiences they had had. She was able to vent out her pent up feelings through the words. That way she regained her peace of mind, away from the stressful thoughts. She had even written about Manohar and his silly quarrels which would snatch away her happiness temporarily.

"Aishu!" She heard her mom yell from the kitchen.

"Coming!" she shouted back.

She ran to the kitchen and stood beside her mom.

"Haven't you met Manohar recently?" Latha asked, while sautéing the potato fry in the pan. The steam from the pan was making Aishwarya sweat.

"No, Amma, I haven't. Why?" She wondered why her mom had popped the question in the most unusual time.

"That I should ask you. Why aren't you meeting him frequently these days? He had visited our house yesterday when you had gone to office. It seems that you had promised him to meet often, but failed to stick to it. He also added that you are providing lame reasons for not meeting him. What's happening with you?"

Aishwarya's heart beats began racing faster. She had never expected her mom to delve into her personal issues and question about her meeting with Manohar.

"Those are not lame reasons, Amma. I am really very busy with my work. That's why. You very well know that I am bringing home some files to work. Then how can I meet him in the evenings?" She spoke that while gulping some saliva.

"You must know to balance both, Aishu. If you behave like this after getting married, then I am sure that he would tell you not to work. Don't give way for that. Make time for him."

Aishwarya felt a lump in her throat as she heard her mom's words. 'Even if I spend enough time with him, he'd tell me not to work after marriage. How can I tell Amma that we had an argument over this? 'She thought.

"Okay, Amma. I will meet him today." She finished with a smile. Latha, too, returned the smile and went back to making chapathis.

*****

"That's fine. But why did you complain about all these to Amma, Mano? Can't it stay as personal between us? You could've sent me a telegram. I would have met you at least by hook or crook. And really I was hell busy with my work." Aishwarya gesticulated while mouthing those words.

"Okay, okay, I am really sorry. Hereafter, I won't take our issues to your mom. I just shared my frustration with her. That's it," stated a kurta-clad Manohar.