A meets A

Seshadri Apartments was situated in the serene locality of Thiruvanmiyur. It boasted of 20 deluxe flats with excellent amenities for its residents. Adhitya's flat was located on the 1st floor. It was a 2 BHK one, consisting of a hall, two bedrooms, a kitchen, balcony, and a washroom. It was painted in a cream shade, similar to most of the apartments in Chennai. The furniture was minimal which made the flat appear simple. Adhitya was keenly reading a news article on the hike in the prices of onions, when he heard the doorbell ring. He sprang into action and opened the door, flashing a wide smile at the woman standing in front of him.

"Aishu!" He bawled.

"Adhi! How old you look!" She exclaimed, while entering the house.

"Come, sit here!" He gestured towards the maroon coloured velvety cushion.

"Your house is good." She said appreciatively.

"Thank you, Aishu. Why didn't you bring Arjun along with you?"

"He has gone to work, da. I will bring him the next time I visit you. Well, where is Trisha?"

Just then, Trisha came out from her bedroom. She was dressed in a casual body hugging t-shirt and track pants. She looked at Aishwarya and furrowed her eyebrows together.

"Trisha, this is Aishwarya. My best friend 34 years ago. She and I interned in Unity Insurance Company."

"Woaaaa, dad! You had a girl best friend during those days. It's surprising," said Trisha, while extending her hand for a shake. She had a genuine look of surprise on her face. And there was something else too, hidden beyond the complex layers of her expression.

"Hi, Trisha. Glad to meet you. By the way, have we met before? Your face seems familiar to me."

"Huh? Is it? No, aunty, I haven't seen you anywhere," replied the doe-eyed girl. She had an ivory skin tone with fawn colored lips. The most striking feature of her face was the cleft on her chin which made her look naturally beautiful. Her hair had a light tint of brown in it, though it wasn't coloured. She had a bijou mole on the left corner of her forehead.

"Oh! Maybe I am confusing you with some other girl."

Trisha flashed an uneasy smile at her. She then chatted with her for a little while and retired to the kitchen to make coffee.

"So, how is my daughter?" asked Adhitya. He was seated beside Aishwarya on the same cushion. They did not feel the reluctance which they had felt during the 80s. They were rather comfortable in sitting close to each other. There was only an arm's distance between them.

"She is remarkable. I think I will bond well with her. And she is showering extra care on me. It's kind of mysterious."

"Ha ha ha. It is very much like Trisha. If she likes someone instantly, she will befriend them, care for them and support them. I think she has derived that trait from me."

"How can you be so sure of that?"

"Yes. I liked you instantly when we had met in the office. And you very well know how much I cared for you."

For a moment, they exchanged glances that spoke volumes of affection for each other.

Trisha arrived with coffee and the trio chatted amicably about general issues.

"Where is Suganya? I need to see her," stated Aishwarya.

"Come, aunty. I'll take you to mom. She might be sleeping. But she ought to meet you. She would feel happy that her husband's best friend has visited after these many years." Trisha led her to where Suganya was sleeping. Gently, she tapped on her mom's shoulder. Suganya opened her eyes slowly and took a few moments to register the surroundings. She then turned and faced her daughter.