Farewell-2

6 years later.....

A five year old Manisha was playing with a toy train which her father had gifted on her 5th birthday. While building the toy railway tracks, she began to sing a song. She had a sweet voice, just like her mother. Manohar looked up from the newspaper and commented, "Manisha! What song are you singing?"

"It's a rhyme which they had taught in school, Pa." She replied in her babyish manner.

'I have never heard of such a peculiar rhyme,' thought Manohar. Just then the telephone rang.

"Aishu! Pick up the phone please."

Aishwarya scurried out from the kitchen with a 2 year old Arjun in her hands. She glared at Manohar and replied, "Don't you have hands? I should come from the kitchen and lift the call, right?"

"Aiyoooo...have you started again?" he sighed and moved towards the ringing receiver.

"Hello," he said.

"Hello, Manohar, this is Shankaran."

"Oh, Mama! How are you?"

"I am fine. How are you?"

"We are all good. How is Athai?"

"Yeah, she is fine too. I just called to tell you that Aishwarya's friend Adhitya had sent his marriage invitation here. He doesn't know your address I think. I will repost it. Ask Aishu to receive it."

"Okay sure, Mama. I will tell her."

"Bye, Mano. Take care. Tell to Manisha that her thatha is missing her very much. And also tell to Arjun that I have bought him new toys."

"Ha ha. I will tell that too. Bye, Mama."

As soon as he hung up, Aishwarya asked, "What did Appa tell?"

"Well, during our marriage you'd introduced a friend named Adhitya, right? He has sent his marriage invitation there it seems. Mama said he will repost it to our address."

The mention of Adhitya sent Aishwarya reeling into umpteen thoughts. Her heart suddenly felt heavy. 'So ,finally, Adhitya is getting married. I wonder if the bride is Suganya.'

A week later, she received the invitation. The bride was indeed Suganya.

*****

Facing each other after seven long years was too painful for both of them. Especially Adhitya couldn't look into her eyes as she approached him with his gift. He noticed that she had lovely children too. Nevertheless, he welcomed her family with a radiant smile.

"Aishu!" he exclaimed. "How are you?!" He almost jumped in excitement.

"I am fine, Adhi. How are you?" she replied calmly.

"I am good. How are you, Manohar?"

"I am fine, Adhitya. Happy married life!"

"Thank you. And what's your name?" He bent down to reach Manisha who was dressed in a cute pink frock.

"Manisha," she replied innocently.

"And this is Arjun," said Aishwarya. Adhitya took his tiny hand in his' and engulfed it for a moment.

"Suganya, this is my best friend Aishwarya from Unity Insurance Company Ltd."

"Hi, Aishwarya," said Suganya.

"Happy married life!" Aishwarya shook hands with both of them. She felt a mild tinge pass through her hand when it met Adhitya's. But she immediately brushed off such thoughts from her mind. Then she gifted them with some money in an envelope, which they gladly accepted.

"Have lunch, Aishu," said Adhitya. There was genuine concern in his voice.

"Sure, Adhi. Are you staying in Bombay?"

"Yes. I just came to Madras for my marriage. We will go back to Bombay next week." He pointed to Suganya, indicating that he was going to begin a new life with her in Bombay.

"Okay, enjoy!"

"Aren't you working now?" A hint of sarcasm was evident in his question.

"No, I don't."

Adhitya flashed a disgusting look at Manohar, which wasn't noticed by him.

"I will start going to work once Manisha reaches the age of eight," she added, protecting her husband from Adhitya's wrath.

"Oh! Then fine." It was a nonchalant reply.

As she left the mandapam, she turned and looked at him. That was the last time they had seen each other.

**********