Things happen

Arjun walked towards Tata Consultancy Services in a brisk manner. He wasn't affected by Monday blues, though the entire lot of office goers felt sluggish. Clad in a neatly ironed white formal shirt with black pant, he looked stunningly handsome. Any girl would easily fall for his charming looks. But he preferred brains over beauty. And that's why he had the most intelligent girl from his office as his girlfriend. As he passed the reception, he felt a hand wrap around his shoulder. Immediately he knew that it was her.

"Good morning, baby," he greeted and pecked her slightly on the cheek, equally aware that there were prying eyes around.

"Good morning, Arjuuuu..." she dragged her words passionately.

"Come! Let's go to the food court to gulp some quick breakfast." He pulled her along with him.

The couple ordered ghee dosa and idly-vada. Soon they began chomping on their food.

"Arju, dad has decided to send me off to Switzerland for higher studies. He got enchanted by the place and he wants me to spend at least a portion of my life there. What do you think? We'll get married first. You find a job in Swiss and I will get an admission to a good college. Then we'll settle down there for a few years. What do you say?"

"Are you serious?! Switzerland! How will I find a job there? I should consult my project manager if they have got any clients in that place, so that I can go and work along with them."

"Do that soon, da. I'll also start a research of all the good colleges over there."

"If we have to execute this plan, then we must inform our parents about our relationship soon."

"Yes, of course. I think I will tell to my parents within this month."

"Good. Even I would tell to my mom. I cannot wait anymore."

"Ah! One minute, Arju. My mobile is ringing. It's a call from dad."

The girl attended the call.

"Yeah tell me, Pa. What?! I'll come over now!" she almost screamed.

"What's the matter?" asked Arjun concernedly.

"I have to go home now. I'll call you back. Bye, da."

"Hey, wait...."

But she had exited by then. Arjun wondered the reason behind her emergency.

*****

Adhitya placed the hot water flask on the study table and lumbered towards his bedroom. He had grown lean and had a salt-and-pepper look. Though his hands and legs were wrinkled, his face was clear, devoid of any wrinkles to give away his age. He opened the door with a slight creak and flashed a glance at his wife Suganya. The once beautiful lady was now looking like a malnourished one. Due to the chemotherapy, she had lost a huge amount of hair and eventually she had to shave off her head. A few prickly hairs stood up on the bald head. Beside her, the teapoy was filled with different kinds of medicines for her. As she heard her husband enter, she moaned and turned around to face him.

"I wasn't sleeping, Adhi. I was waiting for you to join me." She said meekly.

"You could've slept, Suganya. It was such a tiring day at the hospital."

"That's okay, Adhi. Come, let's sleep together." Though she was burdened by a serious terminal illness, she showered love upon her husband, forgetting about her own pain. He kissed her on the forehead and lied down beside her, switching off the bedside lamp.

"Where is Trisha?"

"She is fast asleep in her room."

"Okay."