The Pursuit of Diarmuid and Gráinne II

The  beautiful river made the female sigh in relief and happiness

     The beautiful river made the female sigh in relief and happiness. The bright sunlight sparkled upon its calm and steady surface while the autumn breeze kissed the underbrush and her cheeks; tinting them red. She was helped down from the black horse by Diarmuid and she wasted no time in running towards the river, slipping out of her slippers dipping her feet in the cool water. Her feet ached and she had blisters springing from them and although the winter was near, she invited the stinging touch of the water as she found it to be refreshing and calming.

     "Oh! I simply love the Bóinne." She smiled as she looked over her shoulder towards her lover, the sun glistening off of her brown hair.

     "I am glad that you love it," he smiled, eyes set on her. He looked down and sighed, "My father...can help us with Fionn so it would be best to find him." Diarmuid spoke softly and stayed at the edge of the river watching as she jumped about the shallow end of it.

     "Why won't you come in?" Gràinne asked as she tilted her head to the right and blinked, her eyes begging him to join her.

     Diarmuid stretched his lips and shook his head. "Not right now, I have to be on alert for Fionn can be anywhere."

     "Will we always be running from Fionn?" Her brows furrowed as she walked through the water to get closer to him, dress clutched in her hands.

     "I am afraid so." His voice was a whisper and he wrapped his arms around her, bringing her into a hug.

     "I think that my father can help us, as well." She returned the embrace, wrapping her arms around his waist.

     Diarmuid kept silent, closing his eyes and patting her head.

     "You can trust him. Her cares much for me." She was tilting her head up to view him and his expressions. "I am certain that he will make you a Knight too!" Gràinne squeezed the man.

     Diarmuid's smile seemed to drop and he looked at the Bóinne river, watching as the water calmly ran past them. It was the worst decision he had ever made; betraying the Fianna. It hurt his spirit to have abandoned his vocation, everything he had ever wanted in life was found in Knighthood and now he lost all he knew.

     His grip tightened around his lover as he felt his heart yearn for his title. Fionn had stripped him of it when they decided to run away and now he wished that Fionn would be merciful... maybe let them live in his lands and let Diarmuid continue being the great Knight he is, but it was all for naught. It would never happen.

     There were still unanswered questions that lingered in his mind, the fact that he could never answer them made him irritated. How on earth had the foster son of Aengus and a loyal knight of the Fianna gotten himself into such a mess? Not even the Dagda could tell him, whether it be to keep him from harm or simply because he too did not know.