Follow You

Jeanne pushed her long hair over her ear and stepped into the pool at the foot of a small waterfall. The chilly water caused goosebumps to run up her body, but instead of shying away as she usually did, she found comfort in it. It had been a few months since she had found this little clearing on one of the days she'd gone exploring with Gawain, and whenever she felt the need to relax, she would go there to bathe; away from the castle and all the busybodies.

   Jeanne submerged herself in the water with her petticoat and her underdress, in case anyone were to pass and catch her. With no more than a sigh, she began the process of destressing. The water dripped from her hair once she emerged from the depths of the pool. She took a deep breath, stretching her arms and rubbing her eyes before she laid back on the water and stared up at the rolling clouds that seemed so fluffy and carefree. She had barely slept that night—a recurring nightmare plagued her in the past few days, but she could never seem to remember it when she awoke. All she could feel was the fear coursing through her veins and radiating heat from her heart.

   "How did you sleep, my lady?"

   Jeanne squealed and dipped back fully in the water, her eyes the only thing that could be seen.

   "Forgive me, I didn't mean to frighten you."

   She scanned the area from where she heard the voice but couldn't seem to find anyone lurking in the bushes. Finally, from the forest emerged Gawain in full armour. He had a cheeky grin on his face, and he winked at her.

   "Well, you did." She grimaced, slightly coming up from the water, but keeping anything below her neck submerged.

   He laughed and took his place on a boulder. "You shouldn't be out here all by yourself. You never know when a wolf might suddenly appear."

   "Yes, well, I can take good care of myself. And you're really the only wolf in the forest anyway."

   Gawain laughed once more. "I have no doubt you can take care of yourself, but I am no wolf. I would peg myself as more of a... fox than anything else, don't you agree, my lady?"

   "A fox? A wolf is the only one appearing when a woman is bathing, I don't think I've seen any foxes around." She raised an eyebrow, her lips stretching into a thin disappointed line.

   He waved his hand as he dismissed the issue. "It's quite alright: you have clothes on. Besides, you're fully submerged, and I have no intention of seeing any more of you than I already am. Though the water does seem refreshing, I'm rather tempted to join you."

   "That would be unseemly. I'd even say it'd be a rather heavy mistake if you decide to."

   "I won't; I simply find it tempting." He laughed as he leaned back on the boulder, running a gloved hand through his bouncy blond hair.

   Jeanne eyed him and pushed her hair back and away from her face. "What are you doing with armour on, wasn't it your day off?" She asked.

   "Well the ladies always fall for the armour, I can't simply go around not wearing it when wearing it garners more attention." He winked. " Though I'd only really appreciate the stare of one woman..."

   Jeanne rolled her eyes. "How did you know I was here? You didn't follow me, did you?"

   He shook his head. "I wanted to clear my head, and I always come here to do so. I had originally wanted to take a dip, but now that the pool's taken, I think I might just settle for a kiss on the cheek."

   Jeanne laughed and shook her head. "Well, you might just have to keep wishing, for it won't be happening today."

   "Really?" Gawain frowned. "I was hoping today would be the day."