A Looming Threat

Seated at the throne, Arthur glanced over at Merlin

     Seated at the throne, Arthur glanced over at Merlin. The wizard wore his cape, as was custom of him, and there was a frown on his lips. Arthur fixed his crown and straightened his pose before he waved his hands at the guards to open the doors, allowing a steady and tall soldier entrance to the room.

     "My King." The soldier immediately fell to one knee.

     Arthur nodded. "You may rise."

     "My King," he held a hand to his chest, easing his breathing as he stood, "there has been word from Sir Galahad."

     Merlin shifted and caught Arthur's attention. He looked over at his court magus and expected him to say something but when nothing was said, he turned back to the knight before him. "What type of news?"

     "On the subject of Francia and South Sussex," the man never once looked the king in the eyes, but he lowered his head further, "The battles have become bloodier and there has been many fatalities."

     Arthur shot from the throne, face twisting in confusion and what seemed to be anger. "Pardon me?"

     The knight did not so much as flinch before taking a deep breath, calculating his following words. "Many of our troops have perished as we have tried to kept peace between the two Kingdoms. Sir Galahad suggested we cease trying to keep the peace; it seems only to hurt our forces."

     Arthur set his hand on the pommel of his sword, "How many troops of ours have perished?"

     "He did not state. Sir Galahad was very disturbed and injured at the moment. There were at least sixty knights lost at the hands of both parties."

     "Sixty?" The King turned back to his magus. "How many had we sent?"

     "A hundred," Merlin answered, "Mercenaries included, we did not risk our troops for fear it would cause tension between South Sussex and Camelot."

     Arthur's brows furrowed, "That means there are less than forty knights present still?"

     Merlin nodded.

     The King tensed, knuckles whitening as he tightened the grip on his sword, clenching his jaw. "Call for a meeting of the Round. We must further discuss matters of the Francian War. Please do make sure that the Lady Jeanne attends this meeting as she is of main concern. Do not let word escape of our loss."

     Finally turning to the knight that was already awkwardly standing there he asked one last question, "Is Galahad to survive his injuries?"

     The poor soldier took a deep breath, "They do not look to be life-threatening but they could cause severe pain if left untreated."

     "I implore, send a doctor for him; the best you can contract in Francia. Worry not of the price, I will send the funds."