Lily

"Tell me, Diarmuid dear." Morgana leaned her head against his shoulder. "How did you become so handsome?"

Diarmuid tried to stifle his laugh. "Lady Morgana, I'm not...that handsome. In fact, I rather think Sir Gawain is much better looking than me."

"I beg to differ and he's my cousin, he's not much of a treasure, I can assure you that." She grimaced, holding the bridge of her nose as if in disgust. "He's a nuisance if anything. You, on the other hand, are a breath of fresh air in the stuffiness of the castle."

"And Merlin?"

Morgana laughed and playfully slapped his arm, pulling away from him. "I love him dearly, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy your company." She pushed her hair over her shoulder and offered him a brighter smile. "In any case, I am so glad that you got to meet my handmaid Lily. It was about time you two met."

"I'd never seen her around the castle before, it was a surprise to meet her," Diarmuid mumbled.

Morgana nodded, leaning on his shoulder again. "I like to keep her hidden. She is such a jewel, I don't like her being coveted by the knights. You know knights nowadays just love to infatuate and bed the poor maids with promises of eternal love and whatnot."

Diarmuid nodded. "Yes..."

"Oh, but not you, dear, you're as pure as the driven snow."

He scoffed. "Might I remind you of my reputation?"

Morgana shook her head. "No need for that, love, I know it much too well." Then she pulled him slightly closer. "Oh, Dia dear, did you know Lily is such a charming lady?"

Lily nudged Morgana and shot her a short glare.

Diarmuid offered a courteous smile.

"She helps me out of the suffocating confines of the palace and is such a wonderful company. She's not much of a house lady, really, her cooking isn't the best, she would probably burn the palace down if left unattended."

Lily coughed.

"But," Morgana wrapped an arm around Lily's, "she loves to hunt and that cute little smile of hers when she walks the woods; it is simply a sight to behold. Plus, she's handy with a sword, and I feel safer with her than any other knight. If women were allowed to be knights, I'm absolutely certain she'd be the general."

Diarmuid spared Lily a glance. Her face was flushed and her arms were crossed over her chest. It was strange, how she acted with Lady Morgana as if they were best friends rather than mistress and servant. It seemed refreshing, a person that Morgana could confide in without feeling pressured.

"Would she beat me in a fight?" He asked.

"Why, certainly." Morgana grinned before she stopped to think for a second. "Well, then again, maybe you'd tie, right Lily?"

Lily uttered a short 'yes' before turning her head away from them, letting her step fall just behind the pair as her arm slipped from Morgana's hold.

Diarmuid had barely noticed her absence through Morgana's shameless flirting and stories. It wasn't long before he realized she wasn't walking with them. He turned, spotting Lily crouched down by a plant.

"Lily," Morgana called.

Lily's eyes remained on the flowers, as if in a trance. She didn't respond to her name, she didn't even blink.

"Lily, what are you doing there?" Morgana crossed her arms over her chest. "Don't you think it's rude of you to be all disinterested with our company? He's possibly the most beautiful sight to behold here and you pay him no heed?"