Awkward

AU: Stiles tells his father him and Derek are dating... Whoops. (No wolves)

"Derek? As in Derek Hale? Ex- fugitive, adult Derek Hale?" Asks my Dad, his face creased with frowns and an eyebrow raised unsurely.

"Yep. Derek Hale." I answer, shifting my weight from foot to foot.

"Uh huh. And, tell me, how long has this little thing been going on for?" He asks, his arms folded, one eye squinted.

I fumble with my hoodie sleeve. "Um, well. Not long... I mean, three months or so..." I awkwardly stammer out, lifting my head to look at my dad's face; his expression has frozen on a confused, raised eyebrow face.

"Three months?! Three? Jesus, Stiles." He sighs, rubbing his forehead with his hand.

"So, I figured you'd probably wanna meet him, or something. Right?" I ask, flinching as I wait for his reaction.

"You bet your gay ass I wanna meet this guy." My dad sighs, shaking his head. "Three months?!" He repeats and I sigh.

***
When I hear the door knock I rush to answer it. I open it and immediately smile.

"Hey, Sweetie." Smiles Derek before handing me flowers. "These are for you." He beams.

"You didn't need to get me anything!" I hold the bouquet up to my nose. "Mm, they smell good." I smile, holding them at his nose to smell, which he does.

"They do." He smiles, after sniffing the flowers.

"Anyway, come on in." I offer, moving out the way and holding the door open. He steps inside and takes in his surroundings, looking around the hall. He spots a picture of me, aged 9, and my mom in hospital when I was sat with her in her room. She was having a good day that day. That was probably one of her last good days. I frown at the memory.

"Is this you?!" He asks excitedly, pointing to a younger me on the picture. I nod, smirking at him.

"Aw, sweetie! You were so cute!" He coos, grinning. Him smiling makes me smile.

"Derek." Coughs my father suddenly from kitchen doorway, making us both jump.

"Good evening, Sherrif." Smiles Derek, though I feel his body tense up next to me.

"Come on in, boys. Dinner's on the table."

***

We sit in silence for a while, before my dad speaks.

"So, Derek. Do any sport? Stiles likes lacrosse. You like lacrosse?" He asks intimidatingly, as if there's only one answer. Derek clears his throat then swallows his mouthful of food.

"Uh, yeah, lacrosse is a good sport. Good to watch." Says Derek in a friendly tone.

"Do your parents know you're gay?" My dad suddenly asks, making me almost choke on my drink.

"Dad, don't." I scowl at him.

Derek looks to me quickly before continuing. "Uh, my parents passed away. In the house fire." He reminds my dad, and my dad raises his eyebrows.

"Oh, God, yeah. How could I forget? I'm sorry, Derek." My dad answers insincerely. I shoot him a death glare before mouthing 'sorry' to Derek. He smirks ever so slightly back.

"So, Derek," my father begins in an almost threatening tone, sounding as if he's testing Derek's name out in his mouth. "What's your job?" He asks before shoving a mouthful of food in his mouth.

"I'm in the army, actually." He says, surprising my dad. I nod along.

"You are?" My dad asks. Clearly this job could get him some serious credit.

Derek clears his throat. "Yeah, I came back from from serving in Afghanistan for two years, and I'm here for another two before I need to go back." Derek explains, every so often flicking his hazel-eyed gaze to me.

"Really?... Wow, that's uh, brave. That's great, actually, Derek." My dad smiles, the man genuinely smiles!

"Being a Sheriff is just as brave." Smiles Derek, making my dad's cheeks turn a little pink.

***

I shut the door after waving off Derek, and turn to face my dad who's stood in front of me, his arms folded.

"See? That wasn't so bad." I smirk at him, nudging him with my elbow.

My dad huffs and rolls his eyes. "Fine. Derek seems very..." I raise my eyebrows expectantly waiting for his answer. "... Nice." My dad finally says, and I grin smugly at him.

"I knew you'd like him." I chuckle.

"Don't go all 'I told you so' on me, Stiles." He squints at me, sighing.

"Well, I won't. But I did tell you. So..." I widen my eyes and stick my tongue out at him, and he shakes his head, turning away from me and walking back into the kitchen.