5x09

AU: Sterek alternate ending for the Sciles argument. Scott has just walked off, leaving Stiles in the pouring rain.

Derek's POV

"Scott..." I heard Stiles desperately whisper as he sadly watched his best friend leave him. He was shivering, alone, in the violently pouring rain, tears streaming his face.

"God dammit!" He growled beneath his breath, stamping his foot, kicking his toe on the ground like trying to boot an invisible football.

"Fuck." He cussed, shaking his foot; he must've hurt his toe.

"Fuck, fuck... fuck!" He repeated, this time bringing his shaky hand up to his mouth. He began to sob. I watched in agony, not knowing whether or not to go and comfort him. He hasn't seen me in nearly a freaking year. I watched him sink to his knees in tears, soaking his jeans on the wet ground, his head buried in his hands as he cried. He continuously cursed beneath his breath, a series of fucks and shits.

I can't stand this.

I step out from under the shelter I was beneath, taking a deep, nervous breath. My hands were quivering- I couldn't help it- as I approached the boy, who shoulders were shaking up and down as he moved with his tears.

"S-Stiles?" I asked cautiously, as gentle as I could manage. He sniffed. Slowly he lifted his head up and twisted his neck, his eyes now on me. His unreadable expression made me more nervous.

"D-Derek? Derek, I... I fucked up." He whispered helplessly, not breaking our eye contact. I shook my head slowly, my eyebrows frowning sadly.

"No, kid... No you didn't." I replied back softly, taking a step towards him. I put a shaking hand on his shoulder, mirroring what he did to me once, and the corners of his mouth perked up ever so slightly.

"I- I did. Derek, I killed somebody." He croaked, his voice hoarse from crying.

"Stiles, I know. It wasn't your fault, though. Right?" I asked. He sniffles.

"I... I didn't mean to!" He whispered, tears spilling over his eyes again.

"Hey, hey, hey, no..." I whispered, and before I knew it I had him wrapped in a hug, shh-ing his shaking body, rubbing my hand up and down his back.

He cried into my chest, and I softly kissed him on the forehead.

"Scott... He, he doesn't believe me. I knew Theo couldn't be trusted. But Scott, well, Scott trusts everyone. I don't know how, but..." His words hung in the air and his breath was shaky.

"I know." I whispered into his ear, "I believe you, Stiles. Okay? I believe you."

"Why?" He whimpered quietly, looking at me with heartbroken eyes.

"Why not? When haven't you been wrong?" I asked gently, stroking his hair with my thumb.

He chuckled humorlessly. "I'm never right, Derek. I'm just the stupid human that no one ever listens to-"

"Hey, hey, no! Don't say that, no..." I whisper, pulling him close o my chest again. His hand lays across my shirt, clutching at the fabric until his knuckles turned white. I hold him for a while. Until we're both shivering, in the pouring rain.