bed time

The two men, tired-eyed, sluggishly tidy away the remnants of the night they've had; date night: movies, board games, and a shit ton of wine.

Stiles giggles softly to himself, dabbing at a splash of spilt red wine with a damp cloth.

"Wha's so funny?" Derek murmurs from the other end of the kitchen, where he stands over the dishwasher, loading wine glasses and plates into it.

"Nuthin. Jus' you. I had fun tonight, Sourwolf." Stiles mumbles, his words tripping over one another slightly.

"Me... 'oo" Derek agrees through a yawn, stretching his arms above his head. "Hey, you want coffee?" Derek asks, switching the kettle on for himself.

"I do, but you know I won't sleep."

"Sure you will, it won't be too strong."

***

"Derek, do you think everyone sees the same colours? Like, what if my green is your blue but we both call it green even though they aren't technically perceived in the same way."

"Stiles. It's 2am." Derek grumbles, rolling away from his boyfriend. However, Stiles' persistent wriggling is enough to keep the werewolf awake.

"Okay, sorry, sorry." He says, his voice muffled by the covers pulled up to his chin.

Silence dominates for the best part of three minutes until the caffeine rush means that Stiles pipes up again. Besides, it surely wasn't his fault Derek offered him a coffee and he felt completely inclined to take him up on said offer. Surely not his fault at all. "Derek?" He questions into the darkness. No answer. "Do you think bees have feelings?"

A low rumble from Stiles' right (Derek) fills the room. "Sorry. I'm going to sleep now." Stiles says promisingly. "Fast asleep." he mumbles.

Derek relishes in the sweet, peaceful silence as he feels his body decline into a sleep—
"Der?"

The older man loses it, rolling over and wrapping his boyfriend up into a hug tight enough to muffle any sound he may make for the rest of the night. But Stiles simply curls up into the warmth, shuts his eyes and giggles slightly, before murmuring a soft "Much better... g'night," and falls into his deep sleep.

Sometimes, Derek thinks, Stiles does this deliberately.