Chapter 10: The Difference

My legs are weak, my body tense as I walk back to Loki. My breath shudders as I try to encapsulate every piece of Steve I can remember. His hair, his smell, his touch.
But it's impossible to remember someone I don't even know anymore.
I take a deep breathe and realize the undeniable pit in my stomach, I'm unsure of what caused it; sadness, anger, or hunger? I decide hunger and walk up 76th street to a quaint all night diner and walk through the door. I order a medium fry and a vanilla milk shake and wait for my food to appear in front of me. The man working gives me a nervous look, and due to my boredom, I reach inside his mind to see what he thinks of me- childish, I know- but as I pull back the layers of his thoughts, I realize he isn't thinking of me at all, he's thinking about his wife.

"What stage did they diagnose her at, Paul?" I ask him out of the blue.

"I-I'm sorry, wh-what are you talking about?" He asks, his voice laced with pure fear and confusion.

"Don't worry" I tell him, as a thin line of black smoke forms around him. His posture suddenly goes limb and his eyes seem to look out into oblivion.

"Stage 4, brain cancer," he replies, "she doesn't even remember me." His voice cracks and the sadness I hear makes my soul ache.

"I don't know what I'm going to do when she's gone. She's all I have" he murmurs, looking down at his feet, trying not to cry. Suddenly a loud alarm goes off in the back and he is awoken from his trance.

"Your fries!" He yells, and runs to the kitchen.

When he returns, he places a woven basket with red and white checkered wax paper in front of me, filled with fries. I immediately dig in as he walks slowly to the back again. I try and stop him, but he needs to grieve.
As I finish, I hear a loud noise coming from the kitchen and I do nothing. I know what he's doing. Suicide.
I simply walk out the door towards Loki. I clench my fists and sprint as tears rush down my face. I let out a soft scream in anger, and then I can't take it anymore. I fall to my knees as sharp pebbles slip through the fabric of my pants and draw blood. I grab my skull as voices that I've tried my whole life to keep out, crawl into my brain. I'm shaking on the sidewalk. People are walking by, staring at me, questioning my well being, and then suddenly, euphoria fills my veins and I take a deep breath as everything goes quiet. A moment later I am brought back to life and I scream at the top of my lungs, unleashing black smoke all around. The lights in the city go out and my eyes see nothing but darkness. Screams of terror from innocent people surround me, and I am incapable of controlling anything I do. Incapable of controlling who I hurt.
Suddenly, a cold hand is placed on my back and I spirt up to my feet and am met with Loki.

"You've made quite a mess, my love" He whispers in my ear.

"What are you talking about, Loki" I question, my voice out of breath.

"Look around, my Angel"

As I do, I am brought to my knees again.
What have I done?
Hundreds of bodies lay on the ground around me. Men. Woman. Children. All dead. Because I lost control. Tears rush down my cheeks and I fall into Loki's arms.

"What have I done?" I scream, over and over again.

"You did what needed to be done" he replies.

I look down on the ground and am met with the face of a beautiful soft skinned girl with light blue eyes that will never see the world because of me. I hear the quaint noise of ambulances and police cars rush towards our location as me and Loki run towards our refuge.
As we come to our building I am completely out of breath.

"Stop" I cry in plea towards Loki. "Please"
He comes up to me and holds me in a warm embrace as all my emotions seem to let out in small intervals of cries.

"Now, now, my sweet beautiful, Angel. What you must understand is that you cannot show weakness. You are not with The Avengers anymore. You're not a good guy anymore. You never have been. You're bad angel. We all are. But at the end of the day, you must realize that there is a difference between bad and evil. There is something much worse coming then you could ever imagine, and we need you to stop it."

"Why me?" I question, "You have Enchantress, you could easily capture Scarlet Witch, so why me?"

Loki lets out a dim chuckle as he pulls me into the dark building.
"There is so much you don't know, but I am willing to tell you, if you're ready"

"I am ready, please Loki. Baby. Please." I reply.

"Come, upstairs to our room. Love me first, and then I will tell you anything
you want to know."

-------------------
I AM SO SORRY I HAVENT UPDATED IN SO LONG BUT I ASSURE YOU, I AM GOING TO BE UPDATING AS MUCH AS I POSSIBLE CAN! I TRULY HOPE YOU'RE ALL ENJOYING THE STORY AS MUCH AS I ENJOY CREATING IT. BTW THERE IS SUCH A BIG SURPRISE HAPPENING IN THE NEXT CHAPTER THAT IS GOING TO RESHAPE LITERALLY EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOOK I CANT WAIT FIR YOU TO READ. Peace.