Four

The subway comes to a stop at the station near our school. Riley and I step off into the familiar room. We've been traveling the subway together since Mr. Matthews finally gave in and got her a metro pass.

We're a little bit later than usual, so we have to hurry out of the station and down the block to school. The bell is just starting to ring as we enter the school. We run down the stairs, shove our backpacks into our lockers, and turn into Mr. Matthews' classroom.

"Late," he announces the second we walk in. 

"No we aren't, you wrote her a note!" I say. 

"I did?" Mr. Matthews asks. 

"You did," I reply, handing in ten bucks. His eyes widen with glee as he takes the money.

"Sit," he commands. We sit. 

"You all know auditions are today, right?" he asks. A lot of groans go around. 

"Anyone here auditioning?" 

I hesitantly raise my hand. Yogi, Darby, Sarah, and Back-of-the-class Brenda do as well. And one more person. Missy. Ugh. 

"Well, the best of luck to all of you," Mr. Matthews exclaims. "I'd sure be happy to watch you perform."

Missy gives me the evil eye. I shrug it off, pretending I don't notice her. 

But I do. And, oh, how badly I want to beat her. 

I basically daydreamed the whole history class. I keep replaying the walk home with Lucas in my head, over and over again. I thought it would calm me down. Instead, my heart races a thousand times faster than before. 

The bell finally rings dismissing us from this class. Usually, it's the happiest sound in the world. But today that bell means auditions. I'm not quick to leave my seat. 

Lucas taps my shoulder. "After you, Maya."

I grumble as I pry myself off the turquoise-colored chair. I stick out my hand to help him up, even though he doesn't need help. 

He takes it anyways. His hand fits in mine like it's made just for me. Keep that in mind, I definitely think it was meant to be. 

Mr. Matthews is still watching, so I let go as soon as he stands up. There's a flicker of hurt in his eyes as I do, even though we're "just friends". I hope he wants to be more. 

This isn't the time for that, though. I've got to focus on my audition. 

We walk into Miss Newsarelli's room just in time to line up on the risers. There are about 20 of us auditioning, and the rest of the chorus stands behind us. On purpose or not, Riley, Lucas, and Farkle all stand very close in the row behind me. They've got my back. Literally. 

Miss Newsarelli calls up the first person, a boy named Neil. Following are a girl, Emily, and two more boys. Then it's Missy's turn. 

Miss Newsarelli has us sing into the microphone, facing the rest of our peers. Missy takes the stage confidently. 

"I'm dreaming, of a white Christmas," she sings, putting extra emphasis and vibrato on each note. 

I'm so sick of that song. Everyone doing solo auditions is singing it. Oh. My. Gosh. Make. It. Stop. 

I notice her staring flirtatiously in our direction. I look back and realize why. Lucas. I remember how she went after him back when people only thought that Riley liked him. 

And she's still doing it to this day. 

His expression remains pretty much the same, a mix of annoyance with a little bit of awe. I look away. I don't get why girls think they can get guys by being, well... like Missy Bradford. It obviously works, though, at least sometimes. 

Yogi and Darby are called up. They're auditioning together, for a duet. 

I tried to see the good, I really did. But, how do it put this nicely... 

It sounds like a cow and a pigeon being thrown into a pit of boiling lava. I notice people left and right cringing with every word of "My Song For You" by Bridgit Mendler and Shane Harper. 

Miss Newsarelli allows them to finish the song, but cuts them off right after. "Any more duets?" she asks  hopefully. I look around. No one is auditioning in pairs. 

Somehow I know what's coming. 

Don't do it, I think to myself, hoping Lucas will hear what I'm thinking inside my head. 

"Maya and I will do it," Lucas says bravely. Darn it. Seriously, cowboy?

"Come on up, you two," the music teacher calls.

My stomach churns uncontrollably. Gosh, why am I so nervous?

"Four calling birds," Lucas whispers to me. "Four calling birds. We sang together in the hallways. Pretend the song is still about birds instead of love. Stop stressing; you're gonna be great."

I wonder why he's nervous to sing with me about love. But I realize it isn't him who's nervous: it's me. I'm glad he knows how to comfort me. 

I look out into the hundred something faces of my classmates. If I'm this nervous now, how will I ever survive the actual performance? 

Lucas looks over at me as the music starts, and all my fears fade away. 

I begin to sing.