Seven

A/N: Filler chapter-ish. I promise, it'll get better. 

I get home after a couple of hours working alone. I stayed silent the whole ride, ignoring Riley when she asked what was wrong. I sat in the back seat between her and Lucas. I kept stealing glances at him the whole way but he didn't do so much as acknowledge my presence.

I flop on the bed and start to cry. It seems like I've been doing that a lot lately. Every day, it's hard to wake up and look around at all the happy, complete families. The holidays are even harder. I have faded memories of our last Christmas with my dad, but all I can remember is that we opened presents around the tree. Mom was so relaxed, and even though dad only stayed for a little while before leaving to work, he was there. That meant the world to me.

And then, that world was crushed. Unexpectedly, he got up and left us alone in our tiny house across from the building that later became Bunny Mart.

Each passing year is another without him. No, not without him,  but without a father. He came to be forgiven when I wrote him a letter in school recently, but I just couldn't do it. He caused us too many years of pain to warrant a simple 5 minute apology. I wanted to forgive him right then and there, I did, but it was too hard. 

I was thinking about that a lot today. Riley has an amazing life. Her mom, her dad, Auggie, her uncle- they're warm, loving people. I don't know Farkle's parents very well, but they too seem like excellent people. Then there's Lucas...

I really don't know much about Lucas's family, I'll have to admit. But I do know that it isn't as picture-perfect as Riley's or Farkle's. He's a little like me, in that way, I guess.

Why can't he see through Missy? All of us girls know other girls like that: mean, scheming, divas who come off sweet before you get to know them. But, somehow, guys just can't see through that model face and fake tan. To them, they're the swans-a-swimming. Girls like me are the ugly ducklings.

I never thought that Lucas could be like that. When we first met him, Missy tried to get him to go on a date with her. He denied, though, and stood by us. His friends, who he could count on. Apparently that doesn't matter anymore.

Ugh. Maya. You're seriously sounding like a typical teenager. That ain't no good.

I pick up my phone to find 8 new messages.

RilesssDaSmiles: Maya

RilesssDaSmiles: Hello

RilesssDaSmiles: I know you're there

RilesssDaSmiles: Because of course you are

RilesssDaSmiles: Because I said so 3 messages ago

RilesssDaSmiles: Actually 2

RilesssDaSmiles: Wait first 2, then 3, now 4.

RilesssDaSmiles: MAYA

I smile and text her back.

Me: RILEY

RilesssDaSmiles: Maya oh my goodness thank God you're alive

RilesssDaSmiles: What happened?

Me: Don't want to talk about it right now.

RilesssDaSmiles: Aww okay. Love you peaches

Me: ILY 2

I pull up my other contacts and click on one. I text.

Me: Hi

I click send. Ugh, he's gonna think I'm such a loser.

After a few minutes I see the typing bubble come up.

Huckleberry ❤️: hi

And those are the last words I read before I go to sleep.