Twelve

I examine myself in the mirror for the second time today. It's a lot less fancy this time, but honestly feels so much more comfortable.

Riley walks out of the stall, wearing a red velvet dress and matching converse. She walks over to the mirror and we admire each others' outfits.

"You look good," she says.

"You too," I reply. I turn and she takes my hands.

"Good luck peaches," she says. "I know you'll do great out there."

"You'll be amazing too," I exclaim, giving her a huge hug. I take her hand and drag her out of the bathroom to the auditorium.

We walk backstage where we're meeting our class.

Lucas is wearing a red polo shirt and black jeans. Farkle has gone back to good old turtlenecks for the occasion, which we can't be happier about.

Farkle and Riley go on stage for the opening number, with them and 20 other students from our grade.

Lucas and I sit on the floor in the dark. We can't talk any more than a whisper; Miss Newsarelli's orders.

"Nervous?" he asks.

"A little," I admit.

I can't see him very well, so I turn to face him.

"It'll be fine," he whispers. "I got you."

I lean my head on his shoulder, comforted. I'm vaguely aware that he's still looking at me. I pick up my head and stare back. Subconsciously, I lean in. I can see his lips getting closer to me and butterflies zoom around my stomach. What better way to have my very first kiss...

A strong hand slaps my back. "Hey guys, what're you talking about?"

It's Zay. Lucas gives him a threatening look.

"Ohhhh," Zay whispers. "IIIIIIIIIII see. You gettin' all lovey-dovey, are you? Well I'll leave you two to it."

He smiles at us, wiggling his eyebrows like crazy as he walks backwards away. And trips over a few girls in the corner.

I glance back over at Lucas.

He's looking back at me.

Eyes closed, I lean in once again. Our noses brush as our lips meet.

Then the blast of sound for the microphone breaks us apart.

"Next up, Emily and Neil, singing 'Baby it's cold outside'!"

I snuggle back up next to Lucas. He wraps his arm around me, making me feel like we're the only people in the world.

"Baby it's cooooold outside!" Lucas whisper-sings in my ear.

It's Missy's turn, then a group, then another soloist. I've been sitting here by Lucas this whole evening, but it suddenly occurs to me that Riley and Farkle must be back here by now.

I whip my head around and scan the room, searching for them. Sure enough, they're sitting alone near the back. They seem deep in conversation, and it appears that they're holding hands. I'm so happy for her.

"Next up, Maya Hart and Lucas Friar!" Miss Newsarelli calls us.

We get up and hurry out into the spotlight. I survey the audience and spot my mom, Shawn, and the Matthews Family all sitting in the third row.

I hear the piano part start to play. I'm forgetting my lyrics! What bar do I come in at? When I am singing melody and when am I harmonizing? My mind goes blank.

I look out at the faces of students and teachers and parents that I know and love. And I look over at Lucas, who I also know and, admittedly, may love. And everything clicks back into place.

"Didn't know what to get you," I begin. We sway to the music a bit as the words move us. I find myself watching Lucas for almost the entire song, with a few glances at Miss Newsarelli for approval. During the final chorus, I get the nerves to look out into the audience. People, young and old, are holding hands and looking right up at us. I walk over and take Lucas's hand.

Mr. Matthews is staring at Lucas like a lion stares at an antelope. But I can see the love behind his eyes- secretly, he's happy for me. For us.

Mrs. Matthews is beaming. "Young love," she mouths to me.

My mom and Shawn have the biggest smiles of all. Shawn whispers something in her ear and she giggles. He kisses her forehead.

I smile like an idiot.

The final chord plays and Lucas and I take a bow. We smile at each other and I know we can feel the love.

The rest of our class joins us on stage for our final number. All of the 8th grade at once is a lot of people, but we manage to make it fit.

"On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... twelve drummers drumming."

"Eleven pipers piping."

"Ten lords a leaping."

"Nine ladies dancing."

"Eight maids a milking."

"Seven swans a swimming."

"Six geese a laying."

The five of us look down at our hands. "Five golden rings."

"Four calling birds."

"Three french hens."

"Two turtle doves," we lift our arms to the sky.

"And a partridge in a pear treeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

A/N: Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!!

xo, Emi

P.S. Shoutouts/thank yous in the next chapter :)