Five

A/N: Cory channels his inner Feeny in this one :)

"Didn't know what to get you," I begin. Lucas grins that goofy grin of his that I love.

"Ordinary just wouldn't do."

I finish my part with ease. It doesn't scare me after a while.

"You're so beautiful," Lucas sings. "I only hope you see what I see."

"Show you how much you mean to me," we sing together.

A couple of times we fudge on the lyrics, but this truly feels like a magical moment. Even as magical as Spencer and Teddy's when they sang this in Good Luck Charlie. Even though this is real life, not a TV show.

The first person I look to after we complete the song is Lucas. I blush when I see that he's looking at me too.

Miss Newsarelli pats me on the back. "Amazing job, you two," she whispers to us. We return to our places on the risers. I know I can't audition for a solo anymore, but this is 100% worth it.

Riley taps my shoulder. I turn around and she wiggles her eyebrows up and down. I turn away so I won't burst out in laughter.

After the last person has auditioned, Miss Newsarelli walks forward with a clipboard. "Okay. I wasn't going to do this until tomorrow, but here I have the names of our solos and duets for the upcoming holiday concert. There were far less duets than I expected, and my choice was limited, so I put two of my soloists together for a duet. Neil and Emily, congratulations."

I stand in shock. I was so sure we'd done well, and now people who didn't even audition won the role?

"And our second duet, Maya and Lucas."

I almost can't process her words; I'm so relieved. Lucas pulls me into a hug and I put my hands around his neck. I can't believe it. This is awesome.

The soloists are announced, and one boy and three girls, including Missy, receive songs.

"Neil and Emily, you will be singing 'Baby It's Cold Outside'. Maya and Lucas, I'm keeping you on 'My Song for You'. Congratulations everyone, you did great!"

My face remains plastered into a smile as we leave the auditorium.

Only outside does the screaming start.

"Maya! Lucas! Oh my gosh, you did it!" Riley yells into my ear as she pulls both of us into a tight hug. I move my arm away from her so Farkle can squeeze in. Her face turns red as he wraps his arm around her waist.

Zay walks over. "Hey, you guys forgot about me?"

I laugh and he moves in between Lucas and Riley. It's the five of us. I love it.

Just as I suspected, Mr. Matthews was waiting for us next to our lockers when we picked up our backpacks.

"So, how'd it go?" he asks.

"MAYA AND LUCAS GOT A DUET!" Riley shouts before I get a chance to say anything.

"Good job, you two," he congratulates us. "I had no idea you sang, Lucas!"

Lucas chuckles. "Neither did I."

Mr. Matthews pulls out a small box. "I have something for you."

Riley, Lucas, Farkle and I step forward.

"All of you," Mr. Matthews clarifies. "You're a friend, Zay."

He smiles at this, and we wrap our arms around all 5 of us.

Mr. Matthews opens the box, revealing 5 gold-colored rings.

Riley gasps. "They're beautiful, Dad!"

He smiles once again. "Read what they say."

We each choose one. Riley begins.

"Believe in yourselves."

"Dream," Farkle reads.

It's my turn. "Try."

"Do good," says Lucas.

"Who the heck is George Feeny?" Zay asks of his ring. We all laugh.

"Hey Matthews, this real gold?" I ask.

"I'm a teacher, not a heart surgeon!" he replies.

I laugh. "I'm just kidding. Thank you very much, Mr. Matthews."

"Thank you," the others chorus.

"You're welcome," Mr. Matthews answers. "I love you all. For today, class is dismissed."