Nothing Goes As Planned

Two weeks passed by quickly and before we knew it, Jason was tying his black belt. I was showing a tiny bit now, but it was easy to hide. We still hadn't told his parents, but we were going to tell them the next day. Then on Monday, we were going to the doctor for Jason. His leg had gotten worse. He refused to let me take him to the doctor, so he could train. That boy. If I hadn't been pregnant, he would have been dragged over to the Emergency Room. He wouldn't let me take him to the ER though. I had to take him to the normal practice. So that he didn't feel like he was a crisis. He was.

I was watching him stretch on the sidelines. He had just finished his forms and a first degree black belt was demonstrating her form. She was good, but her balance and control was a little shaky. This was probably one of the first times she was actually demonstrating her form. When she was done, they called out the winners for first and second degree belt winners. Jason got first place. Didn't surprise me, he was fantastic at everything.

The the other higher degrees demonstrated and the color belts followed after. There was this one girl with long brown hair, a yellow belt, sitting by the far left ring, where she was sent to demonstrate, but then was taken by Jason over to the far right ring. One of the judges who was on the far left ring, he had a scruffy beard with salt-and-pepper hair watched her go over to the other side. He looked over at her, concerned with a fatherly expression. She looked at him confused, but went to demonstrate her form anyway. I felt kind of bad for her.

Anyway, the color belts finished their forms and it was time to spar. Jason loved to spar. Any chance he got, he sparred. He put his sparring gear on and continued stretching. He was near the yellow belt girl again, talking to her and the fatherly black belt. The girl had her sparring gear on, too. He bowed to them and left, going into the ring, once they called him. When the tournament was over, I was going to ask him who they were.

I watched as Jason was bowing onto the ring and the referee. Jason was walking with a slight limp and shaking his injured leg as if he couldn't feel it because it fell asleep. When the match started, everything seemed alright. Jason was winning, it didn't seem like he cared though. He was just having so much fun.

His right leg faltered a little bit when he was doing a left roundhouse kick, but his balance is pretty good, so I don't why his balance would have been poor. I won't bore with details of the match, but he did win, by one point.

The next match, and with everyone being non-ominiscient, we had no clue it would be his last match. It started okay, they bowed in and started moving around the ring, the referee was watching them with scrutiny. Something told me that I should go and be next to the ring. Why? I don't know, but I walked over there anyway. I stood near the black belt, 7th degree I figured out, and the yellow belt. They were contentedly watching the match, so I decided I should follow by example and not talk. Even though I wanted to know who they were.

They were almost finished with the match when Jason was going to follow up his roundhouse kick with a left side kick. The other black belt was going to throw a kick, but Jason moved out of the way so he kicked Jason's thigh instead. Jason winced in pain. They stopped the match to see if Jason was okay, he nodded relentlessly as if nothing could stop him. Everyone was watching this match now, a crowd was starting to form on the side where I was, spectators could only be on this side if they weren't in the match. Jason was about to execute the side kick when his right leg faltered and he collapsed, holding his leg and yelling in pain.

"Jason!" I yelled.

The referee called a time-out and the doctor on the sidelines hurried over to where Jason was sprawled out. The judges on the corners weren't letting anyone through.

"Excuse me! I have to see him! He's my boyfriend!" I said to one black belt, desperately. He shook his head and wouldn't let me pass. I stood there patiently. "Please!"