Be Safe and Good Luck

Darry left three days after the boys' graduation.

My whole family took him to the airport to say goodbye, and to support him. His girlfriend left him when she found out that he was being deployed early. She basically told him that she couldn't live with the uncertainty of a soldier. Which just upset him even more. He already felt bad because he wasn't going to be there with the rest of the family when the twins were born, and then he was told that soldiers, who defend the country and risk their lives everyday to keep us safe, were unreliable by the woman he loved. Talk about a crappy send off.

At least my parents pulled themselves together while this was all going on. Not once did I hear them talk about their campaign or politics. It was nice, and it made me realize how much I actually missed them.

When we arrived at the airport, it was about fifteen minutes before he had to board the plane. He was being stoich and barely had any emotion on his face. I knew that was just my brother trying not to cry. he was waiting to board the plane when we started saying our goodbyes.

He said goodbye to my parents first. Mom took him into a hug first.

"Be safe, honey. Write when you can." She closed her eyes and started crying.

"I will, Mom. I promise." He hugged her back.

"I love you so much." She hugged him tighter.

"I love you, too." Darry pulled away from the hug and kissed her on the cheek.

He went to Dad next. He hugged him. "Bye, Dad."

"Watch yourself out there." My dad wiped a tear from his eye.

"Sure will, Dad. Look out for the rest of the family, will you?" He stepped away from the hug.

Dad nodded and smiled at him. Darry hadn't started to cry yet, or at least he was hiding the urge to very well. Dallas sadly smiled when he was saying goodbye to him. He was going to be shipping out in a few weeks for boot camp. Dallas wouldn't be there when he left to give him some advice on the military. They both knew that they probably wouldn't see each other for a few years because of their situation.

"Remember nothing of what I said to you about the military. They'll tear you to pieces if you act like you know something during training. Don't mention your soldier brother at all." Darry sadly smiled back at him. "I'll see you whenever we meet again, brother."

Nodding, Dallas wiped the tears forming in his eyes. "You can still write me though, right?" He asked in a panicked voice, not wanting to lose his big brother. 

"Of course I can. And I will whenever I can. I expect you to do the same, Private." Darry said it in a serious, but joking tone. 

"I will, Darry." He managed a smile.

"That's an order, not a request, Evermore," stated Darry, with a hint of amusement in his voice,

"Yes, sir!" Dallas smiled. "Be safe." He added.

"And you. Now come here." They embraced each other in a manly, yet very sweet hug and even though they didn't mention their sibling affection towards one another, it was just known.

Lastly, my brave big brother came to me. He stared at me for a few seconds a smile playing at his lips. I looked into his eyes and behind the callused wall that he built up, the one that showed the bravery, strength, and courage Darry possessed, I saw what was hidden. I saw the fear and pain and worry filling his mind that he tried so hard to contain within himself.

Silently, we hugged each other. "I'm so sorry I'm not going to be with you through this. This isn't the kind of brother I wanted to be for you."

"It's not your fault, Darry. You are one out of two of the best brothers anyone could ever ask for and I'm so lucky that I have the both of you. You're always with me." I pulled away and looked at him. "Family is always right here." I rested my hand in the middle of his chest.