The Worrier

Four hours.

That's how long we had to wait to see Jason. And they seemed to drag on forever. Those four hours consisted of me pacing back and forth in the waiting area. I was comletely scared nd not sure what was going on, whenever somebody came out to talk to us, Dallas would speak to them. I was in no condition to talk to anybody. I felt kind of useless, actually. Except for when I called Jason's parents, when we first arrived at the hospital. That conversation went sort of like this:

Mrs. Storm: Hello?

Me: Hi...

Mrs. Storm: How are you, Gabry?

Me: Uhh, actually not too good.

Mrs. Storm: Because of the pregnancy? Did you have a question about something, dear?

Me:...No, actually I was calling to tell you that Jason is in the hospital.

Mrs. Storm: What do you mean?

Me: He fell down the stairs at my house... He- he said that his leg just gave out, and I-I think he has a broken ankle and a really bad concussion. He went unconscious and Dallas called an ambulance because we couldn't get him to wake up. We haven't gotten any news yet... Dallas and I just got to the hospital.

Mrs. Storm: Okay, we'll be there once our train gets there. We've been out of town. We're gonna be about two hours,okay?

Me: Alright (I was trying not to cry)

Mrs. Storm: I'm going to go now, but call me right away if anything changes.

Me: Okay, bye

When the ambulance arrived, they wouldn't allow us to ride with, so Dallas drove us to the hospital. This made me panic even more. He must have been badly injured if I couldn't ride with. I was in hysterics, and Dallas was trying to calm me down. Once we got to the hospital, we had gone to the waiting room, and I had been worriedly pacing back and forth.

I'm pretty sure Dallas had given up trying to calm me down because it was no use. Once I worry, it's almost impossible to stop me from doing so. So he was the one giving information to the doctors and nurses. He was Jason's best frend after all.

Finally, his parents got there. His mom is a counselor, so she was calming me down. They called both of Jason's parents back to talk to them. This sent me back into panic mode because if they were both asked to be spoken to in private, it was really serious. I started pacing the waiting room again.

Dallas was watching me. He stood up. "Gabry." He looked at me. I was on the verge of tears. "Come here." he said gently.

I walked over to him and he pulled me into a hug. "Everything is going to be okay."

"I'm scared, Dallas." I sobbed into his leather jacket.

He pulled away from me slightly, and wiped away the tears from my eyes. "Why's that, Gabry?"

"Well, I'm pregnant with twins, Mom and Dad kicked me out of the house, Darry is being deployed, you're leaving for the army, Jason is really injured, and he's leaving for college soon. Not to mention that I'm going to have to raise these kids. I'm all alone."

"Look at me," he said, I was messing with the zipper on his jacket. I looked up at him. "You aren't alone. Darry and I will always be there for you. Our parents care more about themselves than us, that's true. However, when they finally realize that none of us want to deal with their shit, they're going to wake up. If they don't, it's their loss, not yours. You don't need to worry about that.

"As for Darry and I, we're always going to be a phone call away. You know that. You may not be able to get a hold of me for a few months this summer, but Darry will be here. When he deploys in September, I'll be getting home from boot camp." Dallas smiled.

I could tell he knew what I was going to say. He answered without me asking him anything.

"I wasn't supposed to tell you this, but I'm going to anyway: Jason said he was going to ask you to marry him after he graduated." When I started to say something, he gave me a silencing glance and continued. "He told me that his instructor was offering him the position as head instructor at the Taekwondo school. His instructor wanted him to run it so that he could open another school in another city. Jason accepted, it's a good paying job."