11-Son of the Damned (2 of 2)

NP on Vincent's Playlist: Last Breath by Paradise Fears

They think that love is a bitter song and they think that we don't belong
In this world of what we created of all we hold so safe and true
I was the one who abandoned you

"Last chance," said Pilgrim, grabbing the upper snath of his scythe.

Vincent crossed his arms. "Bite me."

Vladimir stepped closer towards the two, but kept his distance. "We're all indisposed, Father. Let's sit and talk about this civilly."

"Yeah, Dad," Vincent seconded. "I'm shaking in my boots here. I mean, you're down to three gophers. Why not kill one more?"

Cocking a brow, Pilgrim raised his scythe. "Have it your way."

Before I could tell them to stop, Luci stepped in front of Vincent. She had that sketchy Stepford-ish smile on.

"You will not do this, Azrael," said she, tilting her head.

"Azrael." Amusement touched the Grandmaster's eyes. "It's been too long since I heard that name. You're not expecting a trip down memory lane, are you, Lucifer? The Azrael you knew from the prehistoric times is too far gone, I'm afraid."

Luci's smile faded into blank. She reached out for the Master Scythe with a dainty hand. "Then, would you like me to refresh your memory? You owe me, Azrael. I can begin to list everything down to the last article. We have all eternity to cover it."

Pilgrim faced the girl, a mixture of disquiet and fury taking over his supposedly unwavering self-control. As his pale eyes roamed the floor, he leaned on his scythe for support.

"This boy will do my bidding," he hissed. "He belonged to me the moment I gave him my mark!"

"We both know that's not true," she answered wistfully. "He belongs with us, in Halja."

Vincent's eyes shifted between the two. "I don't care what the hell is up here, but news flash: I don't belong to any of you!"

Twisting on his heels, the Grandmaster caught Vincent's collar. "You do not understand the gravity of the situation, you fool!" His voice shook with anxiety more than anger now. "I die; you and you're precious big brothers will die."

"So?" Vincent rolled his eyes. "We gotta start somewhere."

"And he calls me suicidal," I whispered to Alex.

He paused to consider it. "Well, it's not normal for your age. What are you, sixteen?"

"What? Being suicidal has an age requirement now?"

He began to answer, ending up with a sigh. "I'll get back to you on that when you reach seven hundred."

"Lies," Luci whispered, yet her voice seemed to bounce eerily off the walls. "With those falsities ruling your very existence, however do you sleep at night, Azrael?"

"Well if it makes you feel better, I don't!" he roared, losing every bit of composure he had left. "But this boy; Roselle had given him to me and I-"

"Roselle is dead." She said that without batting an eyelid. "We are his family. Therefore, he belongs to us."

The hot flaming truth was just what she needed to shut Pilgrim Reaper up.

Vincent wore that vacant expression for two seconds before confusion registered on his face. Couldn't say I hadn't seen it coming. So far, it wasn't helping with this serious headache I was having.

Vladimir cursed under his breath. "This is not the time for that, Luci!"

Disregarding Vladimir's warning, Luci went on with the dewy-eyed look. "Our Abum has plans for you, Vincent-"

Vincent lifted a finger. "Our... Our Abum?"

"Yes."

"Our Abum?" he echoed. "Yours and mine?"

Luci smiled. "Yes, little brother. Abum will train you once we arrive home. Rest assured, you will be able to control your-"

"Shut. Up." His eyes went blank again like his brain was going haywire with the sudden information overload. "Little b-brother? One, you're delusional. Two,"-he hurried across the room to grab Vladimir and push him forward-"this is my older brother. My only family. Only he gets to call me, little brother and he doesn't even call me that anymore because I'd kick his ass if he did. Three, as far as I'm concerned, you people are Hellions. And I sure as hell am not a Hellion."

All Luci could do was watch Vincent get broken up into pieces. "I'm sorry you had to learn it this way, Vincent. I really am."

He faced Pilgrim. "If this is your way to make me do what you want, it's not working. So you all better quit messing with me!"

Poor Pilgrim Reaper looked like he had been doused with ice water. "Roselle had always been targeted. By wraiths, the other consorts, their sons. They thought I was... partial to her, which was perhaps true. I had no choice but to send her to Halja." He swallowed, tightening his grip around his scythe until his knuckles turned white. "Had I known that backstabbing bastard would-"

Luci calmly rapped Pilgrim on the shoulder. "Dishonor my Abum's name once more, Azrael, and you will never have to worry about Legion because I will kill you myself."

"A little too late to act like Daddy's obedient little girl, don't you think?" he scoffed.

Effective comeback. Luci's wall of calm was cracking.

Vincent frantically disheveled his hair and turned to Vladimir for answers. It was obvious the boy was loath to admit it.

"It's the truth, Vincent," Vlad breathed out.

"The king of hell." Taking in sharp, quick breaths, Vincent caught his head with a hand, his eyes wandering the floor in circles. "Satan... Sure." He was shaking and I could almost see the fate of the furniture in the room. That was if he didn't turn first into a red scaly demon. "I'm... the son of the fricking devil?!"

Quickly, I went to his side. I caught him by his shoulders.

"Vincent!" I finally got his attention. I tried to sound as if I knew what I was doing. "Look at me. Okay... Here's what we're going to do: we're going to sit down, breathe and try not to raze everybody in the room."

"You knew." Disappointment and shock took turns on his face.

I opened my mouth and said "W-what?" that somehow sounded like it was made up of three syllables and was two pitches higher.

"You all knew?!" He stepped away from me, letting out a forced chuckle. "Everybody knows! But me. Un-fricking-believable."

Alexis wrung his hand and cleared his throat. "I... didn't know; if that means anything. But Max and I had our theories."

I closed my eyes and sighed. "Not helping, Alex."

Vincent backed away, throwing his arms up. "I'm done here."

Then he went out the door and disappeared.

A few minutes of silence was offered for the sake of our guilty consciences. No one made sudden movements like we were standing on landmines.

Letting out a moan, Pilgrim sagged back into his throne, the constant whispers from his scythe being the only sound in the room.

"You are all dismissed," he waved us away. "All of you."

If he wasn't Death, I would say he looked sorry.

Hey there! It's been a while! So yeah, I'm back. Plus, I want to congratulate the winner for the Reapers Promo. Please be patient for your prize. Snail mail, pssh... And.. that's about it. Vote and follow me on twitter @Simply_shim for schedule of updates and use #Reapers #Aravin. Ciao~!