32 - Roots (1 of 2)

'Til all my sleeves are stained red with all the truth that I said,

Come by it honestly I swear I thought you saw me wink, no

I've been on the brink, so tell me what you want to hear.

32 - Roots

I didn't know how long I was sitting there by the ledge made of strewn rocks, far enough that others wouldn't notice me, but not far enough to ignore the lively repartee between the brothers and the familiars.

Vincent kept glancing at me, but I tried not to meet his gaze every time. If he saw the apprehension through my pretense, I couldn't tell. Secretly, I was glad he hadn't come over to talk. I didn't know what to say to him that wouldn't possibly result to an argument.

"Tired?" It was Alexis, already seating himself beside me. "No--worried?"

"For someone who's constantly distracted, you're pretty perceptive." I said, imbuing my words with feigned liveliness.

Taking in a deep breath, he wrinkled his nose, his eyes wandering the span of the cemetery. "Vladimir and Hector are working on the Grimoire. The spell has to be the right one, or else, all of Vincent's efforts to deceive Adrianna into getting inside that Helcium vat would all go to waste. I must admit; I was skeptical at first, but Vincent did what he promised you."

His eyes were on me now, expectant. It was obvious: he was trying to make me admit how wrong I was to distrust Vincent.

"Who's side are you on?" I complained.

He gave me a tired look. "Yours... And, and now I--I keep having this absurd idea that my own brother will murder me if I sleep in the same room as him."

"Come on, Alex. That's--" impossible; that was what I was supposed to say, but who was I kidding? I tilted my head towards the vat. "Is that really going to be able to hold Adrianna?"

He began fidgeting with the button at the end of his sleeve. "Vincent has created several layers of barriers around the vat for insurance. And Hector had infused her enough SirenSoul to keep an entire state asleep for a century. Once we identify the correct spell for the abyss' barrier, we will send her down a Gate to Halo. It won't be long now."

And what's my role in all that? I moaned inwardly, wanting to slap my face for feeling left out. I was childish, arrogant to think that I was suppose to play a big part in all of this. As if the fate of the world rested on my shoulder. No. The universe didn't revolve around me.

Why couldn't I just be glad that the job was done? What was wrong with me?

"You shouldn't worry," Alex said.

"I'm not worried."

"You shouldn't lie," he said without even looking at me. "Vincent hates it when people lie."

"Vincent hates everything," I ranted. "It's exhausting."

"Sometimes, it's just difficult not to hate him," he said, managing a rueful smile. "Sorry."

"No one's really sorry for hating Vincent," I sighed. "Can I tell you a secret?"

Wordlessly, he turned his restless eyes on me, waiting.

I leaned closer to him so that he could hear me even if I lowered my voice. "Sometimes I wish you were my master."

Nodding, he took his time considering it. There was no hint of surprise on his face when he tilted his head and said in a conniving tone, "Sometimes, I wish you were my familiar, too."