34 - Barrier (2 of 2)

Fade away just far enough

I'm drifting

I touch you so I know that I'm not dreaming

Safe until the night is gone

34 - Barrier

I rocked on the balls of my feet and sprung at her. I balled my Cataclyst into a fist and punched. The moment I saw her arms move upward to shield her face, I opened my Cataclyst to snatch her wrist. I pivoted on one leg, pulled her arm over my shoulder and flipped her over my back with all the force I could muster.

Before she could get up, I swung my Cataclyst down her face. She was quick to roll away. I punched the ground instead. As I pulled my Cataclyst from the tiny crater I had made, I noticed the cracks Adrianna's body had left on the ground.

I didn't waste any more time and jabbed at her repeatedly. Again, she rolled out of the way, jumping back when she had the chance. I veered to her direction, clawing on the ground as I did. She lowered her stance, claws ready.

As I reached striking distance, I scooped some dirt with my Cataclyst and hurled it to her eyes. I swung my Cataclyst at her. Even with her vision hindered, she caught it with her claws. I shifted my weight onto my other leg and punched her square in the face.

It wasn't as powerful as if I had hit her with my Cataclyst, but the surprise was enough to make her lurch back and drop down.

"Impossible," said she, glaring at me as she pushed herself off the ground.

I faced her. "You fight like my sister. And I have never lost to her. Not even once. I think I can take you out all by myself after all."

Screaming hatefully, she lunged at me, kicking, clawing like an animal. But as fatal as her attacks were, I could see the panic in her eyes.

My attempts at psychological warfare seemed to be working. I knew I wouldn't be able to match her in combat. But I thought that maybe I could hold her long enough if I manage to get her rattled.

I tried to dodge her attacks and used my Cataclyst as a shield when I couldn't. Every blow jarred every bone in my body. With her power, I kknew that once she lands a hit, I would be done for.

Not a minute passed and I had to leap away from her to catch my breath.

If I was to delay her longer, I should be able to make some real damage. Not just bounce around like a clown.

I didn't even have time to think before Adrianna pounced on me. I dove out of the way and rolled to my feet, shielding my eyes as the ground where I stood half a second ago exploded under her claws. Before I could recover, she appeared in front of me, eyes blazing. I braced myself for a blow. Instead, she grabbed my Cataclyst to throw me. But I managed to hold onto the Helcium shard still stuck on her shoulder. I twisted it and drove it deeper.

Her scream nearly deafened me. Violently, she pulled me toward her thrusting her knee into my stomach. Hard.

I hit the ground on all fours. Blood spattered the ground as coughing started. There was a sharp stabbing pain on my left side that got a hell lot worse with the slightest movement.

Just my luck, my Cataclyst already faltered.

Adrianna stepped toward me, leering. "You said you weren't going to lose. We're disappointed."

Groaning angrily, I pushed myself up, planting my feet apart to keep my balance. I could feel my broken bones starting to mend, but to be honest, I didn't think I could take her out with just my Cataclyst. I might be able to read her movements, but that wasn't going to be enough.