25 - Past and Present

And now all this time
Is passing by
But I still can't seem to tell you why
It hurts me every time I see you
Realize how much I need you...

---------------------------------  

While Vincent drove in silence, I kept staring at the window, my mind blank, tired.It was past midnight and we were supposed to meet Alexis and Amyr at this inn. Considering everything that happened, a goodnight's sleep didn't sound so bad.

It wasn't until Vincent had parked the Rubicon in front of a long series of buildings with red roof did he finally break his silence.

"You okay?" Vincent's eyes searched my face.

"Sure..."

I got out of the vehicle and scanned the compound. The inn looked relatively new. Beige walls. Three floors. Trees at the sides. Red roof. Nothing remarkable. Nothing that could protect us should Legion decide to go after us.

Vincent followed me and got in my way.

"What now?" I breathed out.

Shaking his head, he folded an arm over my nape and pulled me into his chest.

Suddenly, I couldn't breathe. I couldn't move. My heart pounded so hard I almost didn't hear it when he whispered, "I don't know the first thing about being a master or a friend, but around me you're allowed to be sad or happy when you want to. What I'm trying to say is... it's okay to cry, A."

I closed my eyes, memorizing the feeling of his warm shoulder against my face, his smell. Then, gently, I pulled away from him.

"It's not like I'm not sad that Carter's dead," I began. "But... everyone has got to die sometime, right?"

Before he could reply, a black Rubicon parked next to us.

Alexis rolled the window down. "My condolences—"

Amyr shoved him aside and overreached from the driver's seat. "You look awful, Noob. Quit cryin', a'right? I'mma cheer you up good."

Vincent let out a deep sigh. He rested his knuckle on my forehead for two seconds before stepping ahead. We followed him to the lobby where a sleepy female attendant waited behind the front desk. 

It didn't take two minutes before Vincent started arguing with the lady.

"I'm sorry, Sir," the lady answered, unable to hide the annoyance in her tone. "That's all the available rooms. May I suggest—"

Alexis warily pushed Vincent aside before the furniture could start flying.

"We will take the two-bed suite," Alexis told the lady. Before Vincent could object, he raised a finger. "For safety purposes."

The lady beamed at Alex.

"Just a second."

She started looking at me funny and giving the guys long once-overs.

My brows knitted involuntarily as I looked at my companions. Let's see: I had three guys with me in the same room for the whole night.

"Oh..." I blurted out.

They all looked at me: the lady hardly keeping a straight face, Amyr sneering, Alexis scratching the back of his head and Vincent glowering at me, his ears red as beetroots.

"We... are siblings," Alexis mentioned in defense.

"Of course you are," she replied, suppressing a malicious smile as her gaze lingered on Amyr.