20 - Brand New Eyes

What is this that made us wonder who we are?

Couldn't face what we had done, and so we covered up the scars.

And now we hope, but our hope is buried underneath at night.

Arrows to Athens, Silence

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The world was the same when I woke up: tank and all. It was I who changed... I think. Because when I saw my reflection on the glass wall, I saw a pair of determined eyes-one gray, the other green-looking back at me. Being inside the tank still terrified me. So did deep pools. And Hector. But now, I could see that they weren't unconquerable.

I pressed a hand on the Helcium wall, closing my eyes to feel its cold seep into my palms.

That's right, I told myself. If I don't like what I see, I can always break it.

"Are we done?" I asked.

Alex was still behind the controls. Sweat dotted his ashen face, his usually distracted eyes now wide.

Luci hurried to my tank and punched the lock combination, her face a mask of uncertainty. "Are you alright?"

"I guess..."

I didn't notice how cold it was inside the tank until the door slid open, allowing warm air to waft on my face. Breathing deeply, I stepped out.

"Are you sure? You were screaming your throat raw," she asked, brows raised, a hint of concern somehow leaking from her voice. "I thought you wouldn't stop crying."

"Really..." I threw her an embarrassed look. "Then if Vincent asks, none of that ever happened."

Alexis approached warily as one would a rabid animal. "Aramis... Is that you?"

Feeling my forehead wrinkle, I nodded. "Yeah."

Once he was close enough to see my eyes, he knitted his brows and swallowed. "No... A-alessandra?"

"Y-yeah..." Even I was surprised with my answer.

He pinched the bridge of his nose. "W-wait. Are you telling me that you're both Aramis and Alessandra?"

"I guess..."

Out of the blue, Archie stepped from behind, his hand raised. "If I may?" With a nod from Luci, the familiar cleared his throat and said, "I believe, Masters, that this is what we call reincarnation."

"That's... not possible," Alex muttered, eyes shifting in deep thought. Thoughtlessly, he traced my left eye with his fingers. "Question: what's Cairo's favorite dessert?"

"Passendale cheese; he doesn't like sweets," I answered unthinkingly.

"And the name of his four familiars?"

"Selk, Gideon and... there were only three of us." I bit my lower lip. "How the hell did I know that?"

I shook my head and let out a gasp when I realized that I knew exactly how I knew those things about Cairo: because I knew him like the back of my hand.

Alex's eyes went blank for a while.

"Back then," he muttered to himself. "There were only three of you back then, when you were still Cairo's familiar. Of course you're not aware that he made more familiars after you left. It makes sense. Now, what's Vincent's favorite breakfast?"

My eyes roamed the ceiling for answers. "Uhm... cereal?"

Narrowing his eyes, Alexis tilted his head back to stare at ceiling. "Tell her, Archie."