Chapter Eight:The DIE-omocatic Debate

Ryan stared in bewilderment at the girl next to his desk in history. Ivy was looking at the white board in the front while twirling her pen professionally. They hadn't changed seats. Actually they don't change seats. The history teacher is too lazy to change them every six weeks so he kept them the same. However, Ivy who used to sit near the window, which was three rows away from him and near the back, was now placed next to Ryan.

The history teacher, Mr. Tittle, was distracted by writing on the board so Ryan took the chance to whisper harshly at her. "Ivy!" She turned her head at him, indifferent from Ryan's suspicions.

"What are you doing? Mr. Tittle is going to mark you absent," he hissed, taking a quick glance at the teacher to see if he was looking.

"No, he isn't," she said, shaking her head.

Ryan started to think the worse. If she was going to be marked absent she was going to be sent to the principal's office. Her parents are going to call and ask why she wasn't at class. They're going to think she ditched. Ditching could get her suspended or worse; expelled.

"What do you mean he won't," Ryan questioned hysterically, his assumptions going straight to his head.

"Let's just say that I switched seats."

A realization passed over Ryan. "You didn't."

"I did."

Ryan groaned and let his head fall into his palms, his elbows leaning against the desk. Ryan thought — no, knew — that Ivy snuck into the school to hack into the school's main drive to switch her seats. He knew mostly because her files consisted of education history and he heard about Ivy being caught in the school a few times. Ryan wondered why Ivy didn't get expelled for her activities and he asked when he was at her house. She replied with, "They actually don't know why I break into the school."

"They don't?" Ryan asked in disbelief. "I mean, it's kind of obvious."

"I thought the same. The school's staff accused me of vandalism but they got rid of that option when there was no sign of a spray can on me or a wall full of paint," she retold her experiences, reading from a book with a really long and complicated title.

"Then, they thought I was pulling pranks but Chris Flint cleared that up for me."

Ryan eyes widen in shock. "Y-you know Chris Flint?! You've talked to him," he stuttered franticly.

Ivy gave Ryan a strange look, like she didn't understand why Ryan was freaking out about this. In reality, she didn't. "Yes, I talk to him. I provide him with information all the time."

"You know what? I don't care anymore," Ryan sighed.

"Care about what?"

Ryan was still figuring out Ivy. Why she kept files on the town's adults was still unanswered. Her distant attitude with a bit of playfulness bewildered Ryan to the extent that he didn't know which was the real her. The girl who went against the rules for her own needs or the blank, plain and indifferent girl.

"And Mr. Tittle just happens to not notice that his seating chart was switched," Ryan said sarcastically.

"Actually this isn't the first time I've switched it," Ivy admitted, her chin placed on her palm, looking straight at the board.

Whenever Ivy didn't like her seat or someone was constantly bothering her, while she was hacking into the computer to retrieve student's information, she would also change her seats in her classes. The students that switched with her usually understood. If they didn't, she'd threaten them with their grades and their parents.