Chapter 13: The Fate of a Dead Man

Ivy and Ryan stood in shock.

Mrs. Moon's statement had caught both of them off guard, which was uncommon in Ivy's case. Ryan's usual tanned skin had visibly paled as Ivy's eyes were as wide as saucers. The young girl also seemed to be vibrating with excitement, the end of the case becoming near. Who would it be? Her first suspect? The new comer? Ivy could no longer hold in her questions.

Ivy slammed her palm against the table and leaned forward with sparkling eyes. "Who?" Her unbearable excitement was laced in her voice.

Ryan looked down at Ivy's hands against the table, the one holding the pen was clicking the pen at a rapid speed. Her nerves were starting to effect her symptoms to become increasingly faster and noticeable. The boy was a bit worried about Ivy.

Mrs. Moon sucked in a sharp breath before turning back to the screen. "The most obvious choice, I would presume," the woman muttered which caused Ivy to smile a bit, the corner's of her mouth tugging up.

"Mr. Hughes."

Ryan breath hitched. He should have known. Mr. Hughes was the most obvious choice. Experienced with combat, dictatorship like attitude, and his relationship with Mr. Hamilton all seemed to tie together perfectly.

Mrs. Moon began typing again. "I'm glad you assumed so. Now I don't have to actually say it." Although she did say she was glad, Ryan couldn't see any joy on the woman's face.

Ryan titled his head. "Why would't you want to admit that Mr. Hughes was the killer?"

Ivy looked like she was about to say something to him but Mrs. Moon beat her to the punch.  The woman whipped her head towards him with a cold glare. Ryan gulped loudly and stood in place as she continued to glare eat him.

The woman narrowed her eyes at him before sighing in exasperation. "Because I'm afraid of him! Alright?!" She spat out the words like she wasn't ready to admit them, which she most likely wasn't.  She averted their gazes but continued on.  "I wouldn't want to deal with a man who has spent most of his life in the military and with that type of attitude. He scares almost half of the town--Oh will you please stop that?!" The woman gave a snarl towards Ivy who was still clicking her pen.

Ivy jumped in shock from the woman's outburst towards her but quickly tucked her pen inside her pocket. Ivy didn't tuck her head down in shame like most people but instead looked up at the woman with the same determination. Ivy motioned for Mrs. Moon to continue which the woman did with a sigh.

"Mr. Hughes is not to be underestimated. He's smarter than he seems," Mrs. Moon said with a bitter tone.

The woman's hands started to shake in fear. She grabbed at them and placed them on her lap as she turned her head away from them in shame. Ryan instantly felt pity for her as Ivy curiously stared. He knew that Ivy wouldn't be able to notice Mrs. Moon's anxiousness so it was up to him to find information out the woman.

Ryan gently placed a hand on Mrs. Moon's shoulder, and gave her warm filled eyes. "Mrs. Moon, can you tell us what happened," he asked gently, not trying to frighten her anymore.

Mrs. Moon looked upon him with shining eyes, filled with unshed tears. Ryan's determination wavered a bit but he quickly held in his own emotions.

"I-I-don't know," she stuttered, averting his stare.

Ryan gave her a look of sympathy and squeezed her shoulder in comfort. His arm started to ache since he was leaning across the desk to grab onto the woman's shoulder. "It's alright," Ryan assured her with a smile. "We won't tell anyone."

Mrs. Moon looked at him with reluctance before nodding.

"It was right after the debate"

Mrs. Moon walked with a confident stride in her step, her chin titled up which gave her the stance of looking down on others. She was congratulated by those walking pasted her, but they soon grew nervous when she did not answer them back. She wanted to change this town. If felt too loose to her. However, she would not be a ruler like Mr. Hughes who would take over this town like a monarch. Mrs. Moon was a conservative and wanted to rid this town of its liberal ways.