Chapter 15: Stolen Art

Ivy looked upon a massive two story colonial style mansion. She had to crane her neck to see the top and shield her eyes from the blaring sun. The weather for-cast called for fall showers all day but the sun had been clear at a 87 degrees since this morning. It rarely got this hot in Burlington - all of Vermont in general - and Ivy just so happens to be cloaked in a thick cotton sweater with dark red pants and rain boots. The only good thing about her outfit was that her hair was pulled up in a pony tail, leaving her neck open to the breeze.

Ivy had just arrived nearly seconds ago and a layer of sweat was already coating her forehead. She grumbled incoherent things under her breath as she furiously whipped her notebook open and close. Ivy could hear the pages rip at how violently she was opening it. So she chose to rapidly click her pen since she didn't want to ruin her detective notebook.

Ivy was nearly about to pull her phone out and scream at Ryan why he was late when a beat up SUV came to a stop in front of the mansion. Ivy saw Ryan come out of the passenger side to hug a kind looking woman whom was driving. Ivy instantly knew that was Ryan's mother. The woman's tan skin and silky black hair gave it a dead giveaway.

Once the car peeled down the street, Ryan joined up to a grumpy looking Ivy who was strangely dressed in warm clothing. Ryan knew not to base the weather on a silly weather man and instead chose to follow his gut feeling.

And also looking out his bedroom window.

"You're late."

Ivy had her arms folded across her chest while irritably clicking her pen. Ryan gave her an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry," Ryan said, quickly thinking of something to make it up to her. "Let's head inside to the AC."

Ivy's eyes widen in awe with him mentioning AC, all anger towards him forgotten.

Ivy literally skipped towards the large dark wood doors with a lion head ring to knock. Instead of knocking, Ivy chose to rapidly ring the door bell - leaving the lion head a completely useless decoration.

Ryan could hear footsteps behind the door at a snail's pace, like they had just woken up. The door flew open causing a blast of cool air to flow out. Both Ivy and Ryan sighed in relief. The one who had opened the door was a tall blonde boy, about two years older than them with bed head. His tired blue eyes scanned over the two before sighing.

"I thought you were joking." He ran his hand - that wasn't holding the door open - through his hair, making it even messier.

"I wasn't," Ivy asserted strongly, like a mountain standing against the wind.

Chris Flint groaned in annoyance. "I don't have time for this, Ivy."

Ivy still stood strong but her eyes filled with doubt.

"Busy with what? Sleeping." Ivy crossed her arms in a motion of challenge.

Chris glared at her. "I had a late night last night," he said with gritted teeth.

"Pranking becoming to hard for you."

"Actually I was doing homework," he said matter fact. "I do have responsibilities."

"Sure you do."

Chris glared murderously at her.