Chapter 16: Bored to Death

"Can anyone tell me how to divide a polynomial?"

The teacher's crusty eyes scanned the class half asleep due to boredom.

"Anyone?"

A girl shook awake when her head fell onto the desk.

"Anyone?"

A slight snore echoed around the classroom. A boy was completely passed out on his desk, droll pooling around his mouth.

"Flint, can you tell me?"

"No, I cannot. I never learned how to," John said, his eyes focused away from the board.

The teacher sighed and turned to the board, preparing to teach a class an algebra trick no one was taught.

John nibbled at the end of a pen as he stared at the puzzle across the room from him. The person he was staring at wasn't paying any attention to the teacher as well since she was flipping through her small detective notebook. How could someone like her hold so much power of the school without ringing any alarms?

His brother. Ryan. Even the staff at school wouldn't give anything away about her. When John asked the school's janitor to spill the beans on Ivy, the old man kept his lips shut. John even went so far as to go to Archie to dig some information on her. But when John barely mentioned Ivy's name the upperclassmen's eyes grew wide in fear and ran away with the tail between his legs.

This tiny girl. Who looked like her punches would be like a bump from a kitten had an iron grip over this school. And maybe, over the whole town.

If this girl had this much power, why would she care about a small town Mayor's death? Did she want more? Did she feel a rush from it? Or is she just bored?

Ivy seemed to notice his stare since she turned her head to look at him. John was curious as to how Ivy would react with if she caught him looking at her. Would she blush like a shy school girl? Give him a glare for staring at her?

Ivy looked at him with a blank stare for a few seconds before her lips erupted in a smirk. John looked at her in surprise as she turned back to her notes, as if she didn't catch him staring at her earlier. John hated to admit it, but Ivy isn't an easy person to defeat. Or if she even is beatable.

~*~

"Do you know anyone that can drive?"

Ryan glanced up at Ivy who had an untouched lunch in front of her and her notebook with thousands of scribbled notes written inside. He looked back down at his food, slightly more worried than before. "Yes."

"That also has a car?"

"That starts to narrow it down."

Ivy sighed heavily. Ryan could feel how tired she was from the dark circles under her eyes and the lack of her eating had started to affect her energy.

Ivy ran her hands through her hair, her ponytail holder had just broken and that did nothing to lighten her mood. "Does that really narrow it down?"

"No, I was being sarcastic."

Ivy slammed her head on the table. Ryan gave her a pitiful look and was about to comfort her before she suddenly raised her head. "How about someone who can drive, has a car, and will gladly drive us the next town over?"

"Ivy, how about our parents?" Ryan asked.

The girl brushed that idea away like a disgusting insect. "Too many questions," she explained bluntly. "Someone who won't ask any questions and drive us to the clinic. Preferably a high school student."