Carson Gets Involved

Carson took his seat next to me in math class. "Hey Jaylen." He smiled at me.

"Hey." I started working on homework just to avoid conversation.

Yesterday had been the best and worst day of my life. I kissed one guy I like and rejected another. I didn't need the third to get involved. He didn't seem to notice.

"How's it goin? I feel like I haven't talked, like had a real conversation with you in, well, ever."

I tried to smile and failed. "I've been really busy."

"Doin what?" He sounded kind of worried.

"Nothin much." I just continued with my work.

"Can I talk to you? Like, outside of class?"

I froze. No. He was gonna get involved in my crazy life. No! I can't let this happen, but this is what came out of my mouth. "Sure, I have a few minutes after class."

WHY DID I SAY THAT!!!

"Great, meet me in The Empty Hall."

Oh great. The Empty Hall is where kids go when they want to skip class, make out, or do some really illegal stuff. It's not a place I ever hoped I'd go. I still regret it to this day.

--

"So why'd you want me here?" I frowned at Carson who just beamed at me.

"I gotta tell you something important." He blushed a little as he said this and I just sat there with my brain shouting NO! NOT HIM TOO!!!

"What?" I tried to sound uninterested but I was.

"I like you."

"Why." I said weakly, out of breath and energy.

"Because your an amazing person, who's even cooler than I am." He smiled at me nervously and looked into my eyes.

A single tear trickled down my face. Now I'm gonna have an even harder decision. It's gonna tear me apart no matter what. "Thanks." Then I did the unthinkable. I kissed him.

I just smacked my lips onto his for a brief minute. He let go and smiled, his eyes staring at something behind me. I spun around.

"No!" I hoped this was all a dream. "Not again!" Josh and Ben were standing there with their mouths wide open. I didn't even have to turn around to figure out what gestures Carson was giving them.

I sprinted out on this horrible, horrible, day.

--

"What was I thinking!" I shouted at my friend Aly. "I thought having three crushes was nice because one might actually have a chance of liking me but now I have three guys who all-of-the-sudden fall in love with me! Why me?"

"Woah. Slow down." Aly put a finger to my lips to silence me. "So your saying all three of your crushes are suddenly crushing on you. How do you know?"

"Josh kissed me and so did Carson. Ben tried but I smacked him with my backpack."

Aly gasped. "You let them kiss you!"

"Well yeah." It sounded like the most obvious question ever. "I like them, remember."

"What about Ben?" Aly frowned at me. "I thought you were over him.

"I thought I was too..." I just stared at the wall behind her. "What is going on with me..."