Ben Gets Kicked In The Shin

I put on my coat and looked in the mirror. "How do I look?" I spun around to face my younger sister.

"You look like you know nothing about fashion."

"Well your only 7. What do you know?" I laughed.

There was a knock on the door. "Oh that's Jake!" I ran to the door but my mom beat me to it.

"I'm gonna meet your friend and your gonna let me."

I frowned. How would mom like Jake? She would have to. I would make her.

Mom tore open the door to see Jake standing outside. "Hello Jake, I'm Jaylen's mom, Mrs. Sams."

"Hello Mrs. Sams. I'm Jake." He shook her hand. "Is Jaylen ready?"

"Here I am." I smiled sticking my head out the door and going to stand next to Jake.

"We should really get going." Jake started to walk down the driveway.

"Bye Mom." I followed him, waving to Mom as we started walking down the sidewalk.

"Are we really gonna walk all the way to the fair?" I asked as soon as we got to the end of my street.

"It isn't that far from here and I'd rather not have you meet my family." We continued to walk and talk, mostly about what we're gonna do once we get there.

"We gotta go on the Ferris Wheel!" I exclaimed excitedly.

"Yeah. We're gonna be riding everything." He pulled a handful of money out of his pocket.

"Woah. Where'd you get the cash?"

"I've been saving up a bit."

"A bit! There's like 50 bucks!" I smiled as we walked into the fairgrounds.

"Let's just get in and then we can go ride stuff!" Jake paid for the two of us and we went through the gates.

--

"I think I'm gonna throw up!" I shouted as I grabbed onto Jake's arm for support as the room spun around me.

"Don't grab me! I'm just as dizzy as you!" Jake grabbed onto me.

"Now what?" I asked, finally seeing straight again.

"Wanna ride the Ferris Wheel?" He grinned at me. "I heard about a firework show that's starting in a minute or two."

"Then we gotta go get some good seats!" I shouted, running towards the line for the Ferris Wheel.

Jake followed and soon we weren't the last people in line. A couple followed behind us and then a huge party.

I was humming some song when I heard a familiar voice.

"Yeah Haylee, the firework show is going to be amazing!"

I turned around and saw Ben Hock and Haylee Stetson hand-in-hand and staring at each other like idiots.

"What the!" I walked over to them.

"Oh hi Jaylen." Ben smiled sheepishly. "What are you doing here?" He noticed Jake, "With him?"

"I guess I could ask you the same thing." Suddenly Jake was right next to me, his hand wrapped tightly around my waist.

"At least I got a boyfriend. All you got is a street rat." Haylee laughed at me.

I ignored the insult. "Sorry, I'm not a mirror."

"Nice." Jake gave me a high five before giving Ben a good kick in the shin.

"Ow!" Ben grabbed his leg.

"Nice." I smiled as we got on the Ferris Wheel.

We didn't get lifted all the way up but we were pretty close. We had an amazing view and they stopped the Ferris Wheel for the show so we got to watch there for the whole show.

The first firework burst through the air in a spectacle of color. I looked over at Jake, a smile on his face. "Woah."

"What? You've never seen fireworks before?" I smiled at him.

"No, I've never seen a show like this." He grinned at me. "This is great."

"Good." I smiled and continued to watch the show. I felt Jake's hand wrap around my shoulder.

"Hope you like it Jaylen."

"I do."