Chapter 3

"Gingerpaw! Flamepaw!" I looked around proudly as the clan cheered our new names, the loudest being Mothwing. It had been 3 moons since I met the ThunderClan warrior, Fireheart.

I looked up and touched noses with my new mentor, Badgertail. I saw the sun rise in the distance. I figured I'd be going for my first lesson today. I ended up being right.

As I followed Badgertail through the entrance, I heard Mothwing whisper something to me but I couldn't make out her words. I pelted after Badgertail, keeping the old tom's dark brown pelt in view, to a spot by the river.

Sadly, he only took me on a tour of our territory. When I realized there was still a lot of daylight left and asked for a quick hunting lesson. Reluctantly he agreed.

"A very important thing to know is hunting. But in RiverClan, to hunt you need to know how to swim. I'm assuming you've never swam before. Is that correct?" He meowed quickly.

"Yes." I mewed.

"Then you must be taught the basics." After what felt like hours of watching how he propelled himself through the water with ease, trying it for myself, failing, and eventually getting the hang of it, he called me over to tell me I did a good job and that tomorrow I'd be testing my skills by hunting. I watched as he padded away.

Immediately, I swam across the river to the ThunderClan border, wanting to see someone who might know my mother. Disappointment filled me when I saw that no cat was coming. Tail low, I padded back to the river.

"You again? Why were you staring into our territory?" I heard the familiar growl of Fireheart and spun around to see him glaring at me.

"I wasn't actually in your territory this time!" I growled back.

"Little kit's got a growl now?"

"I'm not a kit!"

"Apprentice? You're still too small to be one!" He snapped.

"At least I can swim!" I snapped back.

"ThunderClan don't waste our time swimming! We climb trees and get an advantage!" He boasted.

"Fireheart... I was wondering... Do you know a ginger ThunderClan she-cat with bright blue eyes?" I asked, trying to describe my mom as best as possible.

Fireheart blinked in confusion.

"Why?" He growled.

"Just curious." I replied.

"Yes." With that, Fireheart pelted away into the forest. Odd way to respond, I thought.

I turned and pelted back home.