Chapter 12

"Put me down! I had every right to do that! What you do is just so interesting!" Gingerpelt woke to the sound of a kit squealing at the entrance to the nursery. Petalkit!

"Gingerpelt, your kit followed me to the Moonstone!" Mothwing sounded angry, but also impressed.

"Oh thank StarClan you're alright! I was so worried about you! Never do that again!" Gingerpelt told Petalkit.

"Sorry." Petalkit mewed. "I was only interested in what Mothwing was doing."

"It was impressive." Mothwing told Gingerpelt. "She followed me all the way to the Moonstone and I had no idea she was there! She'll make a fine hunter!"

"I suppose. As long as she's safe." Gingerpelt mewed.

"Of course I'm safe! I have Mothwing!" Petalkit squeaked.

"Gingerpelt, come with me." Mothwing meowed and Gingerpelt followed her to her den.

"I think Petalkit will be RiverClan's next medicine cat." Mothwing said as soon as Gingerpelt stepped into her den.

"Why do you think that?" Gingerpelt asked.

"Because she's always following me or in my den." Mothwing explained. "And, I had a dream about a single petal of a flower following me and eventually doing exactly what I was doing."

"Do you think that petal means Petalkit?" Gingerpelt wondered.

"Yes." Mothwing replied, just as Petalkit padded in.

"Can you tell me what these are? I collected them on our way back from the Moonstone." Petalkit mewed, placing some berries in front of her.

"Those are juniper berries! Where did you find those?" Mothwing asked.

"Near the border with RiverClan." Petalkit replied, proudly.

"Good job! Thank you!" Mothwing mewed before heading out of camp.

"Gingerpelt." Petalkit mewed, turning to her mother. "I wish to become a medicine cat like Mothwing! Healing Clanmates and sharing dreams with StarClan is the path I wish to follow!"

"That's great!" Gingerpelt purred. "Mothwing will be a great mentor! But there is one thing you should know."

"What's that?" Petalkit asked.

"You can't have a mate if you're a medicine cat." Gingerpelt replied.

"Oh." Petalkit mewed. "Whatever. I think it's my destiny to become a medicine cat!"

"It think it is!" Gingerpelt mewed. "Mothwing had a dream about a petal following her and doing everything she was doing!"

"Really? Does that petal mean me?" Petalkit asked.

"Probably!" Gingerpelt replied.

"Great!" Petalkit mewed before padding back to the nursery to rest.

Petalkit will become RiverClan's medicine cat and Birchkit will probably become one of the Clan's best warriors!

Gingerpelt padded after Petalkit into the nursery, happily knowing her kits would do great things for RiverClan.