Chapter 6

Changes permanently to a third person perspective!

Gingerpaw started to find time to hang out more with Flamepaw moons later when Badgertail didn't have her working as much and made the younger apprentices do everything. Both apprentices had recently passed their final assessments and looked forward to their warrior ceremony.

The ceremony was supposed to be held that day but they had planned an attack on ThunderClan for Sunningrocks.

Gingerpaw was feeling uneasy about attacking ThunderClan in case she had to fight her parents. But they had abandoned her so why shouldn't she attack them? She felt uneasy because they were the only kin she knew of.

This was her and Flamepaw's first attack! She was excited, scared and nervous.

Gingerpaw was sure that some cat was going to see that she was trembling so Gingerpaw was relieved when Mothwing called her over.

"Gingerpaw, do you know where your loyalty lies?" Mothwing asked immediately.

Gingerpaw couldn't believe Mothwing was really asking an obvious question!

"With RiverClan of course! Do you really think I feel loyal to those ThunderClan flea-bags?" She asked her.

Mothwing looked uncertain. "As long as you're sure your heart lies with RiverClan and you fight like a warrior!"

Gingerpaw touched noses with Mothwing. "Of course my heart lies with RiverClan! And I'll fight like the best warrior RiverClan has ever had!"

"Good." Mothwing meowed. "Now go join the rest of the patrol."

Gingerpaw padded over to the patrol that she and Flamepaw had been put on just as they were leaving.

***

Mistystar kinked her tail for the signal and their patrol ran out from under the shrubs and attacked the unsuspecting ThunderClan border patrol.

Luckily, neither Fireheart nor Gingerpaw's mother was on the patrol so if she had to face them it would be when multiple patrols attacked and there'd be a large amount of cats.

Before Gingerpaw found a cat to attack, another ThunderClan patrol burst through the trees with Fireheart in the lead. At the same moment RiverClan's second patrol came to even the odds.

Gingerpaw threw herself on a small tabby she-cat and raked her claws along her back. The young tabby apprentice's head turned to bite Gingerpaw, but her teeth closed on air when Gingerpaw sprang off to dodge it.

The she-cat ran towards Gingerpaw, clawing her side and pinning her down. But Gingerpaw was much stronger than the young apprentice and easily threw her off, raking her claws along the apprentice's exposed belly. Luckily, the apprentice was just a weakling and ran away.

Gingerpaw didn't have enough time to stand up when she saw a large tom with familiar ginger fur slam into her, pinning her down.

"So. This your first battle?" The familiar voice of Fireheart whispered in Gingerpaw's ear.

"Yes. I heard you became deputy." Gingerpaw replied when she realized that Fireheart wasn't going to attack her.

"It's true. Your looking at the future leader of ThunderClan." He boasted.

"Great! My father, a Clan leader!" Gingerpaw mewed, trying to sound excited.

"Where did you hear that I'm your father?" Fireheart asked.

"It's obvious. I figured it out myself." Gingerpaw replied.

Fireheart was about to turn and fight a RiverClan cat that wasn't his daughter when Gingerpaw meowed one last thing to him.

"Within the next few moons I wish to speak to my mother. Oh and tell her that after this battle I'm getting my warrior name along with my possible future mate." She meowed. Gingerpaw could've sworn she saw her father's eyes fill with pride.

"Ok. The day after the Gathering that announces your kits becoming warriors she'll meet you where you first met me when you came across ThunderClan territory as a kit." Fireheart explained before plunging back into battle.

"Wait! That's a long time from now! How do you know that I'll even have kits?" Gingerpaw yelled at Fireheart but if he heard he didn't show any sign of it.

Gingerpaw was tingling with excitement at the thought of finally meeting her mother and having all questions answered once and for all.

But why did it have to be such a long time from now?