Chapter 7

"Gingerpelt! Flametail!" The newly announced warriors looked around the clearing to see their clan yowling their names to Silverpelt.

Gingerpelt looked to where Mothwing sat near the entrance to the medicine cat's den and it looked as though Mothwing was going to burst with pride.

"Flametail! I can't believe you've already received your warrior name! It feels like you should still be a kit in the nursery! And Gingerpelt!" Mothwing cried. She and Gingerpelt had become very close friends.

"I'm sorry you never got raised in ThunderClan like you should've been, but look where you are now! This is clearly your destiny! StarClan helped guide your path excellently!" Mothwing cried, touching noses with Gingerpelt.

"If you never came to RiverClan then you never would've met me." Flametail added quietly.

"I'm not sure what I'd do without you." Gingerpelt purred.

When Flametail padded to the warriors' den, Gingerpelt was about to follow when Mothwing asked her to come to her den.

As soon as Gingerpelt entered the medicine cat's den Mothwing asked, "Do you wish you could've met your mother and known why she left you?"

"Of course." Gingerpelt replied. Does Mothwing know about the meeting?

"Is that why in many moons you're going to meet with her?" Mothwing asked.

"How did you know that?" Gingerpelt gasped.

"I'm the medicine cat. StarClan speaks to me." Mothwing replied, almost sounding unsure. "That meeting will be the best and the worst day of your life. Be wise."

"What? Why?" Gingerpelt asked, confused.

"StarClan knows." Mothwing whispered before sending Gingerpelt to the warriors' den for a well deserved rest.

***

"Mom?" Gingerpelt asked, looking curiously at the fading she-cat in front of her.

"Yes, my little warrior." The dark gray she-cat replied, each word quieter than the last.

"Don't go!" Gingerpelt cried.

"I must. It's time." The she-cat mewed before fading away completely.

"No! Don't leave me!" Gingerpelt screamed into the empty forest.

"Leave you? I'm going on patrol!" Flametail meowed.

Gingerpelt sat up in her nest and realized that it was just a dream.

"Oh. Sorry!" She replied, feeling like an idiot.

She watched as Flametail padded out of the den then got up.

Gingerpelt wondered what her dream meant then shook her head to clear it, certain it was nothing.