Chapter 11

"Petalkit?" Birchkit yelled into the camp. It had been almost two moons since Gingerpelt kitted and since then Cinderclaw, Badgertail's mate, had joined her in the nursery, her belly swollen with kits.

Gingerpelt's jaws opened in a huge yawn then she turned to Birchkit.

"What about Petalkit?" She asked, stretching.

"She promised me we would hunt leaves together but I can't find her anywhere!" Birchkit wailed.

Gingerpelt stiffened. She had already lost one kit. She wasn't going to lose another. Careful not to disturb Cinderclaw, Gingerpelt padded over to Birchkit who was sitting at the entrance to the nursery and swept him back to the nest with her tail.

"Stay here." Gingerpelt ordered. "And please don't yell like that! You'll wake the whole Clan!"

"Ok, sorry." Birchkit looked down at his paws while Gingerpelt left the nursery in search of Petalkit.

Gingerpelt checked everywhere in the camp and even in the dens, but Petalkit was nowhere to be seen. She must've left the camp.

Gingerpelt looked up at Silverpelt where the half moon shone and thought when Mothwing came back from her trip to the Moonstone she'd ask her if she'd seen Petalkit on the way.

"Please let Petalkit be safe! She hasn't done anything wrong!" Gingerpelt prayed to StarClan.

Still tired, Gingerpelt went back to the nursery, head down and tail drooping in defeat. She prayed that she'd be able to see her precious kit again but StarClan had been cruel with Sunkit, so she felt like she didn't have a chance.

Curling up in her nest she was about to fall asleep when Birchkit came over from where he had refused to leave the entrance unguarded in case Petalkit was stolen, and layed down next to her, seeking warmth and comfort in Gingerpelt's bright ginger fur.

Gingerpelt realized that Birchkit may be her last kit alive. She would have to do everything and anything to keep him safe.