Chapter 4

"Can I eat it?" I looked down at the puny fish, hunger gnawing at my sides. This leaf-bare it's been hard to find much.

"No! The rest of clan must be fed first!" With that Badgertail ran back to camp with the fish between his jaws.

I must be able to eat eventually! I haven't eaten anything for moons. At least leaf-bare is coming to an end. I heard there's plenty of fish in newleaf. I wish it could always be newleaf.

"Are you just gonna stand there or keep hunting?" Badgertail snapped over his shoulder.

Reluctantly, I continued hunting. Nothing. I went back to camp hours later with nothing more to offer my clan. I felt like a bad apprentice then I realized that out of all hunting parties, my fish was the only prey for today.

I knew apprentices were some of the last to get to eat so I didn't bother asking for some of it. I felt so weak without any food. I drank river water to keep from dying.

Sadly, my apprentice training was only hunting. I needed to know how to fight! I begged Badgertail multiple times to teach me a battle move, but he only said yes when there was plenty of fish in the river. Newleaf.

***

Finally, I had a full belly and I was learning battle moves.

"Attack me." Badgertail demanded.

I thought of what to do and imagined myself doing it before lunging at him. I caught him by surprise and landed on him, claws sheathed and kept him down.

He smiled and kicked me off, sending me flying across the ground.

"Not bad. Now actually attack me instead of landing on me when I'm more than twice your size. You need to start thinking about your attack based on your enemy's size and strength."

Taking in these tips, I lunged at him pretending to prepare to jump but instead crouching and raking his exposed belly with sheathed claws.

"OW!" He yelped jumping up in surprise.

That time, I was the one smiling at him like he's an idiot.

"Impressive. Now defend and attack! Try out your first battle! Pretend I'm a ThunderClan warrior attacking camp!" Right when he said that he leaped at me, raking my belly with sheathed claws then he realized I wasn't paying attention and yelled at me.

I wasn't paying attention because he said to pretend he was a ThunderClan warrior. I still don't know what I'd do if I had to battle ThunderClan.

"What are you doing?" Badgertail growled at me.

"I saw some fish and wondered whether I should catch them or not." I lied quickly.

"You're training not hunting!" He said, getting mad. "Would you just stand there like an idiot, in a real battle, looking hungrily at fresh kill?"

"I'm sorry."

"Good. Now lets continue!" He growled, annoyed.

After training, Badgertail admitted that I was getting better at fighting and hunting. He said he'd talk to our clan leader, Mistystar, about my progress.