Chapter 9

A moon after the Gathering, Gingerpelt was expecting kits. Flametail's kits. Gingerpelt went on doing as many warrior duties as possible until she got tired out and had to move to the nursery.

"I'll do everything I can to help." Flametail, who had recently become Clan deputy when Badgertail died on a terrible Thunderpath accident, meowed.

Badgertail had accidentally went a little too far into ThunderClan territory when chasing off intruders and got lost. He came across the Thunderpath and knew where to go but a monster went off the Thunderpath and crashed into him.

Cinderclaw, Badgertail's mate, would be expecting kits soon. Kits who would never have a father. Gingerpelt felt sorry for her.

It would be a moon or so until Gingerpelt's own kits would come, but she was already worried. Gingerpelt knew that things could go wrong while kitting so she prayed to StarClan that her kitting would go well. Gingerpelt felt better knowing that because Mothwing was the medicine cat, she'd be taking care of her the entire time Gingerpelt's in the nursery.

***

The time had come. Gingerpelt and Flametail's kits were going to be born. Luckily, Flametail kept his promise and helped out as much as he possibly could.

"Can you get Gingerpelt some wet moss? She'll be really tired and thirsty once your kits are born." Mothwing asked Flametail and immediately he ran out of the nursery, doing everything possible to make sure that his kits and Gingerpelt lived through the birth of their kits.

Moments later Flametail raced into the nursery with a ball of dripping wet moss.

"Thanks." Gingerpelt mewed weakly while lapping up the water. "They're already born."

There was already three small bundles of fur lying close to Gingerpelt. Thank StarClan the kitting went smoothly!

Flametail's eyes shone with happiness. "May I see our lovely kits?" He asked.