Haise Sasaki

"Kaneki?"

The man looked at you weirdly, before cracking a smile and saying, "My name's Haise Sasaki."

It felt so surreal. He was definitely Kaneki but clearly something was going on behind your back, so you played it smart.

"Oh, right!" You scratched the back of your head, "I'm sorry... You just really look like a person I used to know."

"It's fine." He said as his head tilted slightly. Oh, Kaneki, as adorable as ever.

"Great! Okay... Um," you suddenly felt the anxiety of being a mentor sinking in, "there's nothing on the agenda today, so why don't we get to know each other?" You glanced at the clock on the wall, 12:36pm, "let's go for lunch! My treat!"
--
The longer Haise Sasaki spent time with you, the closer to you he felt. By the end of the day, you were practically best friends.

You brought him to a ramen restaurant for lunch and just talked and talked and talked until evening came and you guys decided to just have dinner there as well. As fun as it was, it was difficult for you as well; he didn't remember anything or anyone; trying not to bring up any of your old friends was a pain.
--
Haise Sasaki offered to walk you home since it was late; "I heard you joined the CCG when you were just 13 right?" He asked.

"Around there. I don't really remember, time flies fast when you're trying not to die." Haise thought it was the other way round, but smiled and nodded nonetheless.

"So was it-" he continued but you pushed him aside, a Kagune stabbing into your torse. "(Y/N)!" He got on his feet and was about to run towards you but you held out your hand, signalling him to stay away.

"I'll take care of this," you growled, you felt a familiar burning sensation as you revealed your kakugan.

The attacker swore in disbelief and you cracked an insane smile, "I'll show you not to mess with the CCG's ghoul!"
--
Haise Sasaki didn't speak the entire way home, you were afraid you'd scared him; although you knew Kaneki probably wouldn't be fazed by the incident; "are you okay?"

He jumped and replied, scratching his chin, "yeah! I'm fine, just shocked." Liar.

"I know you're lying, Haise," you smiled kindly, sending a blush straight to his face.

"I was... I'm just thinking about some things, but I'm really okay with what happened, I'm thinking about something else." You could tell he didn't want to share it, so you pressed no further. However, at some point you got worried, he was shaking slightly. Is Kaneki trying to resurface?

You didn't want to ask so all you did was hold his hand, remembering that Kaneki did that once after you had a nightmare you didn't want to tell him about.
--
Haise Sasaki felt his heart race like never before.